Check out this new 12" driver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle Richardson, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Run these numbers through your software sims and give me your opinions:
    Fs:20.5Hz
    Qms:12.6
    Qes:.38
    Qts:.37
    Vas:92L
    Cms: .3 mm/N
    Mms: 200grams
    Rms: 2.059 kg/s
    Xmag: 22mm
    Xsus: 30mm
    Sd: 467sq cm
    Re: 3ohm
    Z: 4ohm
    Le: 3mH
    BL: 14.28 Tm
    Pe: 500W
    1W SPL: 86dB
    2.83V SPL: 90dB
    More details will follow shortly [​IMG]

2. I've been following the original thread and those do look rather tastie for those who want a step above the "normal" 12's without having to make the jump up to the "super" 12's

They have a real nice price point too!

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

This looks like a Parts Express 12 inch DVC on steroids. Here's the DVC's maufacturer specs (coils in parallel):
    Fs: 21.73Hz
    Qts: 0.369
    Qms: 12.53
    Qes: 0.38
    Vas: 120L
    Cms: 0.334mm/N
    Re: 2.69
    Le: 1.81mH
    BL: 12.51Tesla m
    Sd: 506.7cm^2
    Xmax: 15mm
    Mms: 160.7grams

The Dumax results posted on the PE website are similar - the only significant difference is Vas measured 96.3 Liters which is virtually the same as the new driver listed above. The new driver has almost twice the inductance though. Is that going to cause frequency response humps as in the Blueprint 03 drivers? I don't have a frame of reference since Blueprint doesn't list Le in their specs.

So basically the new driver is a drop-in replacement for the DVC 12 with 35% more displacement. Cool! What's the price and when will they be released?

4. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Ryan, The Le of 3mH will not cause any sort of bump in response like the Blueprint. Our HE15 has a high inductance of 10mH which causes a peak in the 70Hz range and rolloff above that. The same would go for the blueprint which has a similar VC in terms of length and diameter.

This driver with Le of 3mH will be more along the lines of the Shiva in terms of response characteristics. It will begin to roll off around 150Hz, but will not have any bump below that.

One other quick teaser on this driver. Here are modeled numbers for the driver in a sealed and vented 3cf cabinet:

3 cubic foot vented or PR enclosure tuned to 20Hz gives an F3 of 19Hz.

3 cubic foot sealed gives a Qtc of .5 and an F3 point of 41Hz, with F10 of 20Hz

Also, in a 16" cube built of single layer 3/4" mdf all the way around, with a pair of 12" or 15" PR's tuned to 25Hz, you will get an F3 point of 25.5Hz as well.

John

5. Kyle Richardson

There hasnt been a thread on HTF about it just some private talk and postings on the bass list that John has made. This driver will preorder for $140 and retail for $175 and the preorder will begin in about a week or so.
    I would have more details on my site but I cant seem to get into it to edit it! [​IMG] I'll try to work on it and let you guys know when its up and running.

6. Kyle Richardson

I was finally able to get into my site and make some updates with more information on the driver and some pricing. As per forum rules I cannot post a link (commerical site) but I'm sure you guys can find it [​IMG]
    Jack, I'm sure the SA-PR15-1400 can take the 2000g but I'll have to make sure before I give a definite answer.
    For those of you that havent guessed it, this driver is a new 12" Stryke driver using an aluminum cone on sale for $140 during preorder.

7. Jack/Kyle. I spoke with John before about 2kg 15PR's and he said he could do it no problem with dual spiders. If he can do that for $45, I may get 4 even though I don't need them now [​IMG]
    ...that is if shipping is reasonable [​IMG]

8. John E Janowitz

Here is a list of possible enclosures for this woofer:

3 cubic foot sealed with no box fill gives a Qtc of .5 and an F3 point of 41Hz, with F10 of 20Hz. Moderate box fill will drop the Qtc slightly more, and the F3 will raise a few Hz.

Small PR enclosure
    16" cube, single layer 3/4" MDF
    dual 1800gram 15" Pr's or dual 750gram 12" PR's
    Fb 23Hz, F3 24Hz

Large PR enclosure
    3 cubic foot with dual 1400gram 15" Pr's.
    Fb 20Hz, F3, 18.9Hz

Vented 3 cubic ft
    4" diameter 15" long vent
    Fb 25Hz, F3 21.5Hz

Large Vented EBS 5 cubic ft
    4" diameter 18" long vent
    Fb 18Hz, F3, 17.5Hz

John

9. John E Janowitz

An additional note, the 4" diameter vents will actually be undersized for the amount of Vd that this woofer has. A properly flared 4" diameter vent should still work fairly well, but the PR's would be the best option if you're going for high output.

John

11. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

12. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Kyle I can't even get to your site,is it down?
    Would this be finally the driver that could replace my Shivas[2] in my large ported enclosure?
    Anthony,Jack?

13. The only problem I see (even without modeling) is that your shiva's are ported with a 4" port. With this new driver, you would be "potentially" running into port compression problems as mentioned above. But if you stay within the shiva limits (or until you reach compression), you will atleast gain a more linear responce since you will be staying in a flatter BL region.

14. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Anthony,
    I have dual 6" ports, 1 on each ends.