What's new

Cheap sub: SA-WM40 or JBL Sub10? (1 Viewer)

LuisN

Auditioning
First of all, hi everybody. I've been lurking around in this forum and the amount of information is incredible! Kudos to all.

I've been thinking about buying a sub, but budget limits me to a new SA-WM40 or an used JBL Sub10 (control series) for the same price. Other budget-stretching options are JBL PBs at double the price.

I found a lot of info on the Sony, but none on the JBL. Has anybody had experience with the Sub10? Which one would be best for music?

Please don't tempt me with alternatives: in my country HT gear is scarce, expensive and mail-order is not an option ($$$ shipping + 40% customs!). You guys have it SO good!

Thanks for your help!

Joe Ferreira

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to say that DLS 10" that everyone raves about, but then I read that part about customs (yikes). Well, it's so cheap, it might come out to the same as the Sony. The Sony is a 12" subwoofer, but somehow the DLS 10" does slightly better. If the DLS is not an option, then I would pick up the Sony for lack of knowledge about the JBL. I have had experience with the JBL PB10 and found it to be too boomy. I think boomy is okay for movies, but I like tight bass for music. What will you be primarily using this sub for?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Having seen a JBL sub fry it's amp in person (while it wasn't even in use), I'd have to side with the Sony as well. It's not bad for the price at all.

LuisN

Auditioning
My idea is to use it with a pair of B&W DM305 driven by a stereo amp for music listening. If that doesn't work out, I can use it to substitute the sub in my JBL SCS135 combo for HT.

The thing is, I enjoy the bass in my car equipped with a 10" sealed-box sub (tuned for extension, not boom!), and I would like to have some of that while listening to music at home.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It is not so easy to get the type of bass from a proper sealed box in a car. I know this as first hand. I had a dual 10" sealed sub in my car (DIY, software designed), and I could not find a decent priced sub (less than $1000) for the home that I was getting in my car (though the car sub was also fed by more than 2x the power...). The small volume of a car tends to be fairly easy to fill with bass, but a room can be more of a challenge, and I don't think either of the subs in question are going to give you what you are looking for.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Do a Search for the AudioSOurce SW15. I have seen it for $149 and it is in that same league.

Amazon.com has had them in the past.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks