What's new

Charlie's Angels Season 3 - July 3RD!! (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Well, this is Sony who put out the colorized versions of a couple of sitcoms. My fear is that they saw how well those sold (primarily because it was the only choice available at many stores) and decided consumers liked "modernized" versions.

Wasn't ANGELS run on one of the early HD channels? Could it be Sony is simply using those masters for this set?

MattHR

Screenwriter
The widescreen indication has to be an error. If not, and Sony has pulled a "Kung Fu: Season One", it'll be like a kick to the balls -- especially after making us wait so long for it.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
Well it does say Digitally Remastered - so they went full hog and wide screened it? How that would even work I don't know.

The DVD spine doesn't have the Widescreen logo so maybe its a typo.

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
Looks like they are NOT widescreen versions!
Thank god!
I'm pumped for more Angels now!!
Bring on Seasons 4 & 5

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Weren't the Bewitched episodes mastered from colorized Syndication master tapes?

I'm beginning to suspect that tv show releases are maybe regarded as "free meals" by the Studios. When they decide to release a theatrical movie title, they have to consider how many units the title is likely to shift at Walmart and then use that figure against the costs of mastering the film to video, authoring, replicating and shipping the disc. There might be additional costs such as extras production, possibly striking a new print from the vault negative, or video restoration.

With a tv show, the profit margin on a multi-disc set must be lower than a single disc, but tv shows have one huge advantage over movies - they're always going in and out of the vault in Syndication. If you have a set of Syndication masters (on digital video), you have half your preparation costs nailed. Why go back to the vault for the onegs when only a small percentage of the audience will know and care (us vintage tv fans) that the shows are altered?

Just a wicked thought that I daren't mention on the St*r W*rs thread - You don't think the reason for a recently announced release is that Fox are stuck with an enormous Raiders-warehouse style overstock of 2004 SE discs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks