What's new

Charlie Rose--Film Year in Review (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Tonight's guests:

A.O. Scott, The New York Times
Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly
Richard Corliss, Time
David Denby, The New Yorker

~T

Nick C.

Second Unit
Pretty interesting stuff, I like how Rose invites different critics each year, although Corliss is almost a regular.

Since these are critics, they aren't Oscar bloggers/award predictors, so it was funny seeing them come up, impromptu, with names of potential nominees.

It's almost a letdown too, after reading their works with such regard because of their insight, prose and articulate writing, but in person, watching these folks fight for a few words with limited time, the eloquence is all but eliminated.

I did really like how all of them would just shout out names of small films, regardless of the topic at hand. These little outburts, hopefully, really brought these lesser known titles like "Junebug" or "Darwin's Nightmare" to a national televised audience.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Would have helped if you listed the time, Thi!;)

Nick C.

Second Unit
Unfortunately PBS shows it at different hours in each region. Much like Ebert and Roeper, it's on at 12noon in some places, 2am in others.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Caught it today on PBS-U. Pretty interesting, though it is rather sad how few choices there are for best actress. Best Picture choices across the board were interesting. What was the name of the one that 3/4 agreed on? Schwarzbaum's love for A History of Violence was interesting.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think the discussion was limited by the focus on likely candidates for best picture/best director, because most of those don't contain notable leading actress roles. If they'd been able to spend a little more time on the subject, they probably would have discussed films that hadn't been mentioned so far -- e.g., Transamerica, which was mentioned only briefly at the end and for which Felicity Huffman more than deserves a nomination (and, IMO, the statue).

Other performances that might have been mentioned are Clair Danes in Shopgirl, Judi Dench in Mrs. Henderson Presents, Patricia Clarkson in The Dying Gaul (not a snowball's chance in hell for a nomination, but she's still great), Radha Mitchell in Melinda and Melinda, and Joan Allen in The Upside of Anger. (Obviously, several of those would need major campaigns to remind voters about them.)

Also, I wouldn't rule out a push for Laura Linney in Squid. Someone on the panel said it was a supporting role, but I think a case could be made that Linney and Jeff Daniels carry equal weight as leads.

M.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
No, it wasn't Squid and the Whale. I think it was mentioned along with a documentary but I'm not sure if it was also a doc. I had the show on while I was doing other things so I didn't catch all of it.

Nick C.

Second Unit
Linney and Julianne Moore seem to be in the running every year for the last half decade, they just have great taste in filmmakers/scripts!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Best of Youth it was. Now I just have to figure out what it's about. :)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The Best Of Youth is a 6-hour Italian film (originally made for TV, I think) that follows the lives and fortunes of 2 bothers over the last 30-some years of the 20th century. I remember Ebert talking about it on his show earlier this year. He loved it too. Here's his review:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/.../50310004/1023

I'm going to have to search this one out. I love stuff like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks