What's new

Changing speaker configuration and crossover questions (1 Viewer)

ohmytvc15

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
I have a cerwin-vega 5.1 system that has always sounded great for movies for the past 8 years but always kinda sucked for stereo music. I'm 53 and kinda miss decent floorstanding speakers for stereo music. 2 satellites and a sub just never cut it for me and i don't like prologic or DSPs for music. My subwoofer has recently given up the ghost. I'm thinking instead of buying a new sub I would just buy some floor standing full range speaker for my front left and rights. I want to keep my cerwin-vega center and surrounds. Its a decent center with 2 4inch woofers and a one inch tweeter. The surrounds have a 4 and one as well. The full range speakers Im interested in have a frequency range of 45hz to 20k. Do you think I will be missing the low range that much? I don't have room for a sub if I get these fronts. Also a question about configuration. I will have to set my receiver for the front to large and keep the others at small. If i have the crossover set at say 100, does that mean all the frequencies below 100 from all 5 channels will then go to the front full range speakers? Any opinions on how this set up would sound for both music and surround? i dont think i care that much about those low earth rumbling lows because when i have a sub and those frequencies get too loud I end up turning the sub down anyway.
One last question. The full range speakers Im thinking about getting are 8 ohms and my cerwin-vega satellites are 6ohms. My reciever is rated at 100x5 at 8ohms. Any problems there beside just changing the levels? I'm a pro musician so I know a lot about sound but just would like to get some audiophile opinions.
Thanks

ohmytvc15

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Well I'm outta here. Not much traffic here. 5 views in 2 day? Pfffff. On to AVS. Cya

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks