What's new
World Wide Stereo

Center Channels a Gimic? (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Most of that "all around me" effect is the sound from the left/rights bouncing between the room's walls. The recording itself can also contain special phase effects intentionally included that can also create an airy atmosphere & if really cranked up, sometimes an almost "virtual" rear channel effect (for more on the consumer playback versions, look up TruSurround, SRS, Circle Surround). Q Sound is another common recording system for this effect: if you want to check it out, Madonna's Immaculate Collection was recorded with it. The most startling demosntration of it is at the beginning of the song "Vogue", when she says (acappella) "What are you lookin' at?" If you're facing the speakers, it seems like the vocal is originating from the side & slightly to the rear. On this album, one of my very favorite downtempo/funk/chillout titles, track #3 has a similar effect where a particular keyboard does seem to emanate from behind you (though rather blurrily, but in a good way).

But none of these effects - virtual or otherwise - comes close to matching the discreteness & full imaging of a true multichannel recording.

As far as 5.1 mixes being silly, I'll admit some aren't exactly pieces of art, but the good ones can be much more satisfying than their, in comparison, flat stereo versions where all the instruments are crammed together in front of me, struggling to be heard. Better speakers would help with freeing some of them up, but only to a point, because the laws of acoustic physics places limits on this.

But even with "just" four speakers, you then have not just one imaging plane to work with, but several i.e. there is literally much more physical space to work with. This allows the mixer to place intruments (or sound effects for movies) in their own individual space, so even at low volume levels they can be easily heard or as some put it, they can "breathe". With stereo though, the mixer can literally run out of space and he has to push some sounds so far back in the mix to get them to fit you can barely hear them & they end up contributing little to the music. It's been revealed that on some classic albums, like Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, that the engineer had to actually leave out certain sonic elements because of these constraints. But on the 5.1 version, he was able to put them back in the music as originally intended.

To me and many others, a good surround mix (whether 5.1, 4.1 or quad) feels much more alive and involving. Music is art, so I don't care if it doesn't match the "reality" of a performance that took place in a venue where physical & non-artistic constraints demand the perfromers to be in placed front of me.

Make no mistake, to hear 5.1 music properly takes some work as far as speaker placement and speaker type goes. But luckily, as others have mentioned in the forum in the recent past, a system optimized for 5.1 music can also sound great with movies. This includes the speakers' physical characterisitcs and their placement in the room (IMO actually better than the accepted movie playback standard: how can you hear effects behind you if the surround speakers are at your *sides*?).

But like with any subjective issue like food or cars, sometimes people just plain don't like surround music for whatever reason (personally, I think most wine tastes like sweetened vinegar, much to the horror of my neighbor. :D ).

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

lol, exactly....if someone is in here that I think would really enjoy/appreciate the sound, I always give him or her the good seat. As I'm sure a lot of us do, I take pride in what I've put together and how good it sounds, so to show it off is fun :) But yeah, if my 5 y.o. niece, grandmother, or parents stop in, eh, they get the couch by the wall lol.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
While I certainly appreciate the value perspective of being able to get by without a center channel, I can't agree that it's a "preferred" option. It may be a preferred compromise over other compromises, but after selling my previous front speakers a while ago, I desparately miss a quality center channel.

As for the impression of a L/R pair projecting voices at screen height, this is a function of room acoustics and other psychoacoustic effects. The reflection from the ceiling in fact serves to shift the image, along with other cues that we use to discern image height. In my parent's place I put in some Triad in ceiling speakers above a plasma on a vaulted ceiling. The internal angle of the speakers and the angle of the rising ceiling make for a good angle to the couch. With the speakers 4-5' above the center of the plasma, when you are very close you do indeed hear the image somewhat above the TV, but as you move back past 10-12', the image drops down and subjectively coincides with the picture nicely. This effect is the same for a stereo pair and when using a center, but adding the center sounds much clearer.

Remember that many center channels on the market flat out suck for what they are intended. Search out some good ones and spend some time balancing out the system.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Good stuff. I've seen similar info I think from Stereophile about the 3 channel RCA Living recordings (or something). A center channel can be implemented poorly. But there are benefits as well if it is done right.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I'll bet most of the problems w/centers originate with

1) centers that don't truly match the left/right mains even ones from the same model series

2) centers sitting on top of a TV/armoir or stuck in the shelf *under* the TV, all locations which can really alter any center's sound, even if the center was identical to the left/rights.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Here are some centers that should do well performance-wise and match their left/right brothers:

Cambridge SoundWorks Newton Series MC500 has a rotatable mid/tweeter plate so it can be used as a left/right or surround. Talk about a 100% match.

JBL's HT Series (identical left/center/right); Performance Series (same mid & tweeter); Project Array Series (huge! a dual 8" center w/nearly the same tweeter/mid *horns*; and more.

Many Thiel models, like this MCS1, because of their coaxial mid/tweeter design.

And the largest dedicated center I have ever seen (and heard) the king o'the hill B&W Nautilus HTM1D It's much larger in person!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

The traditional audiophile "phantom" center image is certainly different from that achieved with a hardware solution, the former, I'd assume, being preferred by those accustomed to it. From the sweet spot, I'd take a phantom over most centers, as many are exercises in compromise. With an identical center, I'd take a speaker there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks