Center Channel Speaker

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by joe>ma, Apr 24, 2005.

1. joe>ma

joe>ma Auditioning

Is it wise to mix a different brand center with the others?
    (still the new guy)

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    It's better to come as close to the L/R speakers as possible. Speakers from different manufactures often sound quite a bit different. And in this hobby, even though these differences can be subtle, you don't always know what you're missing until you get it right.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Never. You want 3 identical speakers across the front. More and more movies are sending dialog to the L/R speakers if the actors are at the edges of the scene, not to mention effects that pan across the front. You will blow the illusion of a wide-soundstage if the sounds change as they move from speaker to speaker.

4. joe>ma

joe>ma Auditioning

I have one more question. Last time I said the B word (Bose)I took quite a beating. I got a good deal a set of acoustimass 10 speakers and I was thinking I needed a center driving speaker. I haven't had a chance to listen to it the way it is because the room isn't quite done. I have a chance to get a bose vcs-10 for dirt cheap. So should I use the cube, pick up the center or just scratch the itch and listen to it when the room is done? (the new guy)

5. chris_bester

chris_bester Agent

joe>ma

All I can say is audition numerous brands etc before you decide. I was never a fan of Bose myself but as long as you like them & how they sound thats all that matters....Happy listening.

Chris