What's new
World Wide Stereo

Center channel placement (1 Viewer)

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a clear cut better position for a center channel. Seem most people have them high because they can just set them on top of the TV... what about thoose with nothing to set it on.. like the projector people, what do you do? Mount it high, or lower under your screen? From all that I have read it doesn't really matter how high or low is as long as it is pointing towards the listener, am I right?

Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
General recommendation is to have the tweeter at the same level as the mains. This is usually impossible for those with sets; more possible for those with projectors. If the speaker can only be placed high or low angling it towards the listening position will help.

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
There definitely is a difference in sound and clarity as to where you place your center channel. Currently I have an all Martin Logan speaker set-up with my center being a Logos. When I first purchased the Logos it sat on top of the TV (Pioneer Elite 55”). Then I bolted it to the wall above and behind the TV. I noticed a big difference in sound between the two spots (I lost a lot of clarity when the Logos was mounted on the wall). When I purchased my new TV (Mitsubishi 65” Diamond series) I tried a new location: in front of the TV on the floor. I purchased two metal speaker stands and modified their height so the top of the Logos sits just under the bottom of the screen. Then I adjusted the Logos so it was pointed slightly upwards and aimed at my ears as I was sitting on my couch. What a difference!! The voices from any movie soundtrack are now clear and always understandable. Best thing I could have done.

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
carl,

where did you purchased the 2 metal speaker stands for modification? I'm in the same situation as you w/ my LCD rear projection TV.

thanks
tony

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
I purchased them from GNP Audio/Video in Pasadena,CA. They have a wood top and bottom plate with a metal support column. The top and bottom plates are bolted together by a threaded metal rod that runs through the center support.

The stands were higher than needed so I modifyed them to fit my needs. I measured exactly how high I wanted my Logos to sit and then cut the meatal support column to match. Then I sealed the bottom plate to the support column with silicone, filled the support column with sand, sealed the top support plate with silicon, and bolted it together. I have some pictures of the setup if interested.

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
carl,

yes, let see some photos. I'm 10 mins away from pasadena. I can go pick up one this week.

thanks
tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks