What's new

Center Channel - ok to box in? (1 Viewer)

Mike_N

Auditioning
Hi:
I am buying some new furniture for my HT.

I will have a shelf right above the TV. There will be about 15 inches of space above the shelf for my center channel.

My main concern: This shelf has walls on the left, right, and back. There is also a top shelf above where the center will sit. So in effect, my center will be 'boxed' in.

So my question to others: Does anyone have a similar setup for their center channel? Does it effect the sound negatively?

I also have the option of ordering the furniture without the left and right walls if that will help.

Any opinions? Thanks for your help.

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I have my Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 sitting on a shelf above my TV. It is, as you say, "boxed in." That is, there are vertical panels on either side of it with a shelf above and a back panel. There is about 11" of space on either side of the speaker, about 12" behind it and about 3" above it. It sounds fine.

The only suggestions I have: If your speaker is rear ported, there should be plenty of breathing room behind it -- say at least 8 - 10". And you should ensure that your front baffle is as far forward as it can be, even to the point that the speaker grill is in front of the edge of the shelf. Finally, depending upon the height of the speaker, you might want to tilt it (jack up the back) so that it is aimed at the listening area as much as possible; your treble will sound much better/clearer.

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rodel
I have a similar situation with my fronts (LCR). They're all on top of my RPTV and the RPTV is recessed with about 20" space between it's top and the top shelf. THe recess is about 30". My LRs are front ported but the center is rear ported. They seem to be fine there (as maybe because they still have some good amount of space as Jim suggested).

I'm wondering if putting some acoustic panels on the wall behind and on the sides will make a difference. Any ideas?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The L/C/R of one of my setups are also boxed in. Actually built into and behind the walls. The only issue I had was a little bit of "boomyness" which was eliminated by using a slightly higher crossover point than I usually use. As for sound deadening material, never thought to use it. Anxious to hear what others think about it. Probably a trial and error kinda thing as individual setups might be to unique to accurately advise.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
A lot of people who a REALLY into the sound will tell you not to do this but I do it...an mine is rear ported and it sounds just fine. if it is rear ported just make sure it is open in the back or far from the wall of the back like someone said. In the stand I just finished I have all of my components and center speaker on the top shelf. When I want to listen to it I open the doors and when I don't it stays closed....very high WAF!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks