What's new

center channel hookup problem (1 Viewer)

doug_v

Auditioning
I got a DVD player for Christmas and am now trying to hook it up to my Denon AVR-1010 receiver. I plan on buying a center channel speaker but I'm not sure how I'm going to hook it up. The receiver has connections for both a right and a left center speaker. Will I be able to hook up a single center channel speaker to this receiver? Thanks for any help with this. Doug

Denward

Supporting Actor
Hey Doug. Welcome to the HTF obsession.

There is a Denon AVR 1100. It's a Dolby Digital Ready receiver. I'm going to assume that's the model you have.

First of all, "DD ready" means that it does not have a built in DD decoder. Hopefully your new DVD player (what model is it?) has a built in decoder. If not then you can't get DD out of your current system. You would either need to buy a DD decoder or a new receiver with a built in DD decoder.

If your DVD player has a decoder, then it will have 6 RCA type outputs which should be labeled something like

L front

R front

Center

L surround

R surround

Subwoofer

You would then need 6 cables to connect these outputs to your receiver's 6CH EXT IN (?) section. (That label is a little fuzzy on the pdf file from Denon's website).

AFAIK, there's really no such thing as a left center and a right center. I think you may be confusing the white and red inputs in the 6CH EXT IN section. The red one is labeled subwoofer.

A center speaker would be hooked up to the section labeled Center Speaker. It has red and black spring clips labeled + and -.

doug_v

Auditioning
Thanks for the fast replies. I'll try and answer your questions. The DVD player is a Panasonic DVD-RV31. I don't think it has a decoder. The receiver is a Denon AVR-1010. It says Dolby Pro-Logic Surround System on the front. As for speaker connectors, this id is what it has for connectors:

Front speaker A - left and right

Front speaker B - left and right

Center speakers - left and right

Rear speakers - left and right

I hope this helps.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Front speaker A - left and right

Front speaker B - left and right

Center speakers - left and right

Rear speakers - left and right
So, your receiver has 2 red and 2 black speaker terminals for the center channel? If this is right then you may have a receiver that supports 2 centers. If that's the case, then just connect one set of red/black(positive/negative, not left/right) to your center speaker. Keep us notified as to what is happening and welcome to the forum.

Denward

Supporting Actor
Since your receiver is a pro-logic, it's even older than the DD ready receiver I was blabbing about.

I also have a Panny 31 DVD player. You just need to hook up its analog audio outputs to one of your receiver's inputs and you'll be in pro-logic land.

You're right, this player does not have a DD decoder. That's okay though because when you get around to buying another AV receiver, it will most certainly have a built in decoder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks