What's new

Center Channel DVD test material recommendations please (1 Viewer)

Andre Ramirez

Auditioning
I just picked up my center channel finally, and i want to test it out. Can you guys recommend some DVD material to test it out? I ran a search and came up empty. Thank you in advance for any info.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Just about any 5.1 film is going to have it's dialogue heavily present in the center channel.

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Amargeddon's opening sequence with Charlton Heston's

narrative could also test your center channel.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
If you really want to concentrate on your center channel's performance, go with a mono track (a DD-1.0, as the 2.0's send the same signal to each of your mains).

Anything from "Citizen Kane" to "Crimes and Misdemeanors" would be apt. There's a surprisingly good dynamic range in Criterion's recently released "The Cranes are Flying", plus you'll get to see a real good flick. Their "Cries and Whispers" is also an excellent mono track, with all manner of odd sound effects and the full range of human vocalizations (you know... cries and whispers!).

One of the finest mono tracks I've heard (though it might be DD-2.0 - I can't remember offhand) is Fantoma's great DVD of Fassbinder's "Whity". If you're looking for a viewing option rightly labeled "bizarre", then do check this out. An amazing anamorphic transfer and, like I said, an extraordinary mono track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks