Center Channel DVD test material recommendations please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre Ramirez, May 3, 2002.

1. Andre Ramirez

Andre Ramirez Auditioning

I just picked up my center channel finally, and i want to test it out. Can you guys recommend some DVD material to test it out? I ran a search and came up empty. Thank you in advance for any info.

2. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

Professor X's voice in the narrative at the beginning credits of X-Men.

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Just about any 5.1 film is going to have it's dialogue heavily present in the center channel.

4. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Amargeddon's opening sequence with Charlton Heston's

narrative could also test your center channel.

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

If you really want to concentrate on your center channel's performance, go with a mono track (a DD-1.0, as the 2.0's send the same signal to each of your mains).

Anything from "Citizen Kane" to "Crimes and Misdemeanors" would be apt. There's a surprisingly good dynamic range in Criterion's recently released "The Cranes are Flying", plus you'll get to see a real good flick. Their "Cries and Whispers" is also an excellent mono track, with all manner of odd sound effects and the full range of human vocalizations (you know... cries and whispers!).

One of the finest mono tracks I've heard (though it might be DD-2.0 - I can't remember offhand) is Fantoma's great DVD of Fassbinder's "Whity". If you're looking for a viewing option rightly labeled "bizarre", then do check this out. An amazing anamorphic transfer and, like I said, an extraordinary mono track.