Celing Material

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Scott Anderson, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Scott Anderson

Scott Anderson Auditioning

I am re-finishing my 25' x 15' Family Room and putting in a Home Theater system. Floors are Hardwood. I don't know what material to put on the celing. I want to minimize the reflective sound. But, my wife wants it to look like
    sheetrock. I was thinking of using thin sheetrock to let more of the sound go through, with fiberglass insulation in the celing joists to absorb it? Would thinner sheetrock reflect less sound?

2. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

I would use a resiliant channel, then sheetrock. While I was doing the hard work, I would ask the Mrs. to go shopping for a nice heavy area rug for the floor, to minimize reflections.[​IMG]

Regards, Tom

3. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Stunt Coordinator

Scott,

> Would thinner sheetrock reflect less sound? <

No, even the thinnest sheet rock you can get will be reflective at the frequency ranges that harm imaging. You really do need some sort of absorption if you hope to get great sound.

--Ethan

4. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    Check this out. Its not cheap, but looks fantastic and has great absorption qualities.

5. Bobby C

Bobby C Stunt Coordinator

Hey Ken,

Interesting stuff, can you provide any personal details? I have low ceilings in the basement and am not sure if RC would take away too much. Do you use it or have seen it installed? Any general pricing info?

Thanks,
    Bob

6. MattLH

MattLH Auditioning

I used resilient channel on my basement HT project. It only drops the drywall 1/4", so the loss of headroom is negligible. I don't recall the exact cost, but it was definitely not a budget-breaker. And my wife and baby can both vouch that it makes a huge difference in sound transmission upstairs.

Matt