What's new

Cd ROm Audio Problem (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Something has been bugging me on my Computer and I thought someone might be able to help. I have 2 CD Roms, a CD-RW (Sony) and a Standard CD-Rom drive. They both have headphone jacks but neither of them output sound when I have headphones plugged in. I've tried testing it with just an standard audio CD. The sound comes from my speakers just fine... just not the headphone jack. Can I do anything?

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Try the actual volume control in windows. Usually it has some sort of volume control for headphones. Maybe its turned all the down or muted.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Paul, that shouldn't make a difference with the headphone jack on thedrive

Maybe the dial is broken in the 0 position

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I was playing with this the other night and still can't figure out what is wrong. I have like 4 different CD ROMs, DVD Roms, and CD RWs and NONE of them have working headphone jacks. Now I know none of them are broke... so what the heck is going on? My only guess right now is maybe by using the audio cable to the sound card it's taking sound that would normally output from the headphone jack. Could that be the case?

Now I know I can't hear all computer sounds from that jack, just an audio CD or DVD... but neither has sound coming from there. Sound comes from the speakers just fine... but not headphones. This just mystifies me...

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
Your CD-ROM drive may be set to play digital CD audio instead of analog. When this happens, usually the drive does not output sound to the headphone jack on the front (at least that has been my experience). I suggest you disable digital CD audio to hear the music from the jack.

However, the drive will need to be connected to your sound card through the analog audio connection on the back of the drive, if you want to hear the music through both the speakers and the headphone jack.

To disable digital CD playback:
  1. Go to the Control Panel (Click the Start button, click "Settings", click "Control Panel")
  2. Double-click the "Multimedia" icon
  3. Click the "CD Music" tab at the top of the box
  4. Choose the drive to change (Choose its drive letter in the area marked "Default CD-ROM drive for playing CD music:")
  5. Disable digital audio for the drive (Uncheck the box labeled "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device")[/list=1]
    I hope that solves your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks