What's new

Problem playing Living Audio SACD on my PC (1 Viewer)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Since these Living Audio SACD's have both SACD and CD layers, shouldn't I techincally be able to play them back on my PC? I've tried several discs in both my DVD-Rom and DVD+R drive, and neither recognizes them. I shouldn't need any special software, such as the Creative DVD-Audio program I use to play back DVD-A discs on my PC, right?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
You should be able to read the redbook CD layer. I don't think you can playback SACD.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Are you talking about the RCA Living Stereo releases? If so, then yes, these are hybrid SACD/CDs and should be playable on any drive that's capable of playing CDs.

Obviously, DVD drives are not optimal for reading CDs given that the lasers are focused differently, but this should not prevent playback (except for some CD-Rs because of the far lower reflectivity, and maybe for really dirty/scuffed CDs).

Perhaps its having trouble reading the correct layer - and is incorrectly trying to read the DSD stream from the SACD layer - though I have never heard of such a problem.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Yea I'm trying to playback the redbook CD layer, it is the RCA Living Stereo releases, it appears to be loading for a few seconds, then just stops. I double click the drive in My Computer and it tells me to insert a disc, tried opening the disc with a number of media programs, no go.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Certain DVD drives have a problem reading the CD layer on hybrid discs. You probably won't be able to play them short of getting a different brand of drive.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
I have several of these and can read the CD layer on these discs fine with both my CD-RW (Sony maybe?) and my DVD-ROM (Samsung).

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Because the sacd format is based on the dvd format, other people here more familiar with computers have said that certain dvd drives ignore the CD layer & try to read the sacd layer instead. So when they can't find "normal" dvd information there, they just give up.

Maybe a firmware update for the drive in question could fix this issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks