What's new

cd music problems with 3802?? (1 Viewer)

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
hey guys- quick question. i've been listening to some music on my new 3802... including my svs sub. problem is this - on movies, the sound is amazing... fight club for example... the last scene shakes the house. but then, i throw in a cd into the dvd player, and i'm not getting the kind of bass i expected. i say this because i have 2 pioneer 10 inch subs in the trunk of my car, and with a lot of music, i can get some really clean and deep sounding bass. i just don't seem to get the same effect when i listen to music on my 3802... can anyone give me any advice? thanks...

peter

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Is your system calibrated using a Sound meter and a test disc like AVIA, Video Essentials or Sound & Vision? What is the output level on the SVS? The Subwoofer level on the receiver? Are you using the LFE out on the Denon or speaker level? What X-over setting are you using in either case?
After chewing on that, maybe you're just a Bass freak and are used to overdoing it.:D

John Royster

Screenwriter
The 3802 also stores different channel levels depending on the mode. ie stereo vs DD. you may want to calibrate your levels with an SPL meter or do it by ear or set all levels the same for the different modes.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Car audio subs can sound boomy and some may sound one-tone or chest pounding in the 30-60hz region. (Often caused by distortion). This is why some songs sound different in cars than in a properly setup HT. My friend had become so used to hearing his cars sub he thought my HT was lacking bass. Then after we auditioned some $80k professionally tuned speakers with the same songs I showed him that it's actually his car that has too much bass.
But it all boils down to preference, if you prefer to have more bass then just turn it up. :)

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
the problem is that it seems like those frequencies (30-60hz) sound much CLEANER coming from the dvds... my friend brought over a nine inch nails DVD (i don't know which one it was) - but the bass was unreal. i guess what i don't understand is why the signal is not being sent to the sub... i know there are some strong peaks on a lot of the stuff i'm listening to, but for some reason it just doesn't show up on the sub. maybe i just need to calibrate and complain later.
p

you might want to also check your sound settings that you have set up for when the CD is playing. I had my Denon set at DTS Neo:6 for the CD audio output. There was a large difference in sound, (Bass wise and overall), if you have the receiver set at DTS Neo:6 - Music instead of DTS Neo:6 - Cinema. Hope that helps you. (See page 58 of the Owners manual)

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,
I found a similar situation with the Denon 3802 and music. Whenever I listened to CD's through the receiver, I found the bass a little lacking. Not much, but a little. I'd find myself upping the sub output on the receiver a little (+3-4 dB) when listening to CDs.
I don't think this is a Denon thing, I think this is a format thing. We're used to listening to DVD's with killer (dedicated) LFE tracks and then we listen to music, which (mostly) is recorded in stereo, with no dedicated LFE or sub track, and the bass is less impressive than on DVDs. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, unless you are wanting to rattle your windows while listening to the Grateful Dead. I think it's just a normal difference between the music and DVD format. I had an old Kenwood receiver and found myself in the same predicament.
The important thing is that we have the ability (through our sub volume/sub output controls) to tweak this to our own liking. Enjoy.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=83748

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
When you calibrate your system using receiver test tones, AVIA or Video Essentials etc, you are calibrating for the discrete channel sources. The bass level ends up being set by the "subwoofer" level in conjunction with the "LFE" level and will only be correct if all speakers are set to large.

If you are checking for the bass level from redirection (some speakers set to small), then you need to do a separate calibration with a test tones CD or a tone generator to set the "subwoofer" level. Then you need to recalibrate with receiver test tones, AVIA or Video Essentials to set the "LFE" level so the system is balanced again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks