Denon 3802 digital dropouts & crackling....HELP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Salvador, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

Things are starting to look grim. Frist of all i've noticed Dolby Digital and DTS problems. I've already explained them in this thread
    Now while doing some casual music listening i noticed that one of my songs skipped. I said to myself that that's really odd since i'm not using a CD player to play my songs (i use my computer playing mp3 files connected via digital coax). So i though maybe it was just a glitch. After around two more hours of casual on/off listening i noticed another dropout and then it was followed shortly by a nasty crackling sound. In the 3 months that i've owned this receiver i've never had any of these occurences happen to me. Is my 3802 falling apart???
    I'm itching to get this unit serviced at the Denon headquarters here in Canada but since my exams are just around the corner i can't afford to waste another day. Earliest i could bring this unit is probably end of April/ Early May since school will be finished by then. Is it safe to keep using my 3802 or is there a chance that it will permanently damage my speakers?

2. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Try a cd player. If it does it again and you are sure it's the rcvr, send it back.

3. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

tried my PC, playstation 2, and discman, after around an hour or so the dropouts and crackling appear.

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I hope ur PC passing thru the MP3s isn't using a SoundBlaster because they have been noted to cause these "glitches" on Denons. Check ur SPDIF settings on the SB (if ever), I believe u have to set it to a proper hz to make it work properly.

5. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

Everything was working fine before yesterday.

6. Eric Samonte

Well...I only read about it in some other forum. I think he even said it "broke" his Denon. I have the Audigy as well but have yet to try it on my 3802.

And the Audigy even had a separate "note" about use of hz and stuff if u plug it onto a receiver.

7. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

Ahh!! Finally i solved the problem. It turns out that AC-3 Decode was checked and messed up the signal that was being given to the receiver. I forgot to uncheck it when i reinstalled the drivers [​IMG] . But that still doesn't explain why the lights didn't go up when i tried DVD's in my playstation 2 nor does it explain the crackling that i got yesterday.
    Eric, can you please elaborate on the hz issue? I checked the box of my audigy card and i couldn't find any leaflet or note mentioning this issue.

8. Eric Samonte

It says....

" Some multimedia speaker systems and some AV receivers may not be able to process S/PDIF signals at 96kHz sampling rate. If this situation is encountered, you need to change the Digital Output Sampling Rate to 48kHz or 44.1 kHz in the Device Controls application in the Audio Applications group."

But checking the whole thread, it seems you got this thing covered. It may be your 3802 and not anything else. I hope everything's fine now.

9. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

yeah i read that blurb about the 96kz stuff. THe 3802 can handle the 96kz signal but only in direct mode. It even says it right on its display screen whenever you are sending it 96kz.

There's still that dropout problem that i encountered again last night. I hope its just a blip but we'll see if it still happens during the course of the week.

Well anyway thanks for all the help guys, appreciate it.