What's new

CD copy protection - Philips fights the darkside (1 Viewer)

Ray R

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if this was posted in any of the other forums, but you might find this interesting. In fact it is pretty damn funny.
Link Removed

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Woohoo, you go Philips! :)
Seriously, I'm glad that they take a stand against the recording industry. The way they handle the file-sharing problem is to make CD's unplayable in anything other than stand-alone players, and even all of those can't play these CD's.
This will prohibit people who bought MP3-players from copying the music to the player (since this os often done on a PC), it will prohibit the popular "music server" systems that people are setting up in their homes and so forth. This is completely legal use, and does nothing to hurt the artists or the record companies.
What they need to focus on is stopping the file-sharing. No, I don't know how to do this (to be honest I'm not even sure they should do this), but there must be a better way than to pervert the CD-format the way they do.
/Mike

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Way to go Philips! A few quotes from the articile interested me. They are:

In the wake of Napster, the popular music-trading service that allowed consumers to rip and trade MP3s with a minimum of effort, the music industry was forced to investigate ways to limit rampant CD copying.
Gee, how about lowering the prices of CDs? I'm sure if we could buy good titles for $6-8, then many more people would buy pre-recorded CDs. I know I would. Sure, making a copy onto a CD-R would still be cheaper, but I would be willing to spend $6-8 or even $10 to get the original artwork and the booklet.

Craig_T

Second Unit
Philips claims these error-filled, "protected CDs" will become unplayable after only a few years due to normal wear and tear because the player's error correction will become overwhelmed. So people buying a million blank CDs and pirating music will now have more reliable and compatable media than honest consumers. This is the recording industry's brilliant plan to get people buying MORE CDs? Where were these morons when brains were being handed out? There's no way in hell I'm going to pay 15, 10 or even 2 dollars buying these intentionally defective pieces of shit!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks