What's new

CD Cleaning Method (1 Viewer)

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
What products do you use to clean CDs? Currently, I just use Sunlight dish soap and clean hands, however, it is time consuming. Any inexpensive product recommendations?

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
I've used Rain-X on my cd's for years. Works great for finger prints & smudges. Just put on a few drops, wipe it in a straight line w/a very soft, lint-free cloth, let it dry and lightly buff off the haze w/same soft, lint-free cloth. You could also try a microfiber cloth as well. Works w/out chemicals. I've used one on a dvd before it worked well.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I've been using Lenscrafter cleaning fluid and towels. I figured since they're safe for lenses, they should be safe for CDs/DVDs, too.

Three sprays and wipe in a circular motion. You think I'm nuts, but that "straight line" thing is too time consuming and really shouldn't be an issue unless you're using something really abrasive.

-Mike...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Three sprays and wipe in a circular motion. You think I'm nuts...
:eek: yup! :D
realistically i suspect mike is right. unless you're using sandpaper it's probably not an issue.
but i'm not gonna take that chance.
also, i heard you really shouldn't use any detergent type solution? i definitely feel that dish soap is probably too harsh a solution - if you must use detergent, try something milder. or at the very least use a diluted mixture.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I use one part Windex to one part distilled water.
It has worked like a charm for over twelve years and my CD's are in perfect shape (barring any clumsy maneuvers on my part).

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
but i'm not gonna take that chance.
Well, I use the Lenscrafter fluid and wipes (the ones that look like a box of tissues) on my glasses every day. No scratches after two years. That's over 700 wipes in a circular motion with more pressure than I exert when I clean a CD. I really don't feel like I'm "taking a chance".

Oh, yeah... My glasses have anti-reflective lenses which are the most delicate and prone to scratching.

-Mike...

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for the input. I think I will try the Windex/distilled water or the eye glass cleaner route as I have both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks