1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

CBS Press Release: Mission Impossible: The Original TV Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    The original series had already started to dumb it down by season 5. Season's 6 and 7 even went so far as to set up the story with "The Syndicate" before Jim Phelps received his mission. The audience had already seen the target of the IMF and the whole backstory, making the tape scene superfluous. You now had two scenes to figure out the plot. To me, the 88' series was better than many of the the stories in the 70's.

Don't forget that Lynda Day George and Greg Morris appeared as their characters Casey and Barney on the 88' show. And Bob Johnson once again provided the voice giving the IMF their mission every week.

Darby67 likes this.
  2. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    "Dumbing down" was basically Bruce Lansbury's contribution to Mission. Instead of the secret crusaders against international injustice that the IMF were durring Stanley Kalis's and Paul Playdon's runs, Lansbury felt the IMF should be more focused on domestic issues. IE: Gangster of the Week represented by the anonymous Syndicate.

Darby67 likes this.
  3. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Part of that was budget cutting. Trying to show a new foreign country every week was expensive, and they'd used the Paramount lot over and over again already.

I preferred the earlier seasons.

The 88-89 series used Australian locations giving the show a fresher look, even if it was "dumbed down" a bit.

The Drifter, Darby67 and BobO'Link like this.
  4. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

They should have done a flashback episode, showing how the IMF (aka CIA) killed JFK. Now, that would have been a great episode!

Mark Y likes this.
  5. Message #45 of 46 Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Yes, I also preferred the earlier seasons of the original M:I, but I understand that budgetary reasons dictated that the later seasons had to be set in the U.S. And, as I said earlier - I did like the whole series, even the later seasons. Any episode of the original M:I (either an earlier season or a later one) was still better than many other TV shows out there.

Yes, the '88-'90 series was filmed in Australia, and I found this setting visually interesting & unique. I also felt it made the show stand out more (for the better) than it would have if it had been filmed in the U.S./Canada.

Blimpoy06, bmasters9 and Darby67 like this.
  6. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Ditto for me on Streets (Richard Hatch included)!