What's new

CBS Press Release: Mission Impossible: The Original TV Series (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
There’s very little correlation between the number of discs and quality of set when it comes to Blu-ray. I’ve been ripping my collection for the past year, and what I’ve found time and again is that in the overwhelming majority of cases, no one is using the full capacity of the disc. And as someone who used to work in preparing material for release on disc, I can say without a doubt in my mind that sometimes the disc count is upped because the marketing people believe that will be a useful selling point. There are so many sets where they use more discs that were strictly necessary to utilize the perception that more discs equals higher quality. The same for dual layer discs vs single layer discs. But the data doesn’t lie. And I’m not talking about bargain basement outlets but mainstream studios and highly regarded boutique labels. The physical cost of adding a second disc might only be between a quarter and a dollar but the retail price can be doubled for the inclusion.

Well put, well said. I collected TV shows on DVD back in the 200X's & early 20XX's, and remember that there were numerous times they 'padded' the DVD sets by only having 1-2 episodes per Disk, when they could easily have had 3-4 episodes per Disk - without having the PQ suffer at all. Obviously they were including more Disks so that the perception would be that the sets would be more valuable (with more Disks) - which justified them jacking up the price. When, in reality - it would have been better to have less Disks per set since the packaging would have been slimmer; less disks per set meant less disks prone to scratches/breaking free of the cases, etc.

However, in a world where many people are moving away from physical media altogether (present company excluded, of course) I'm not sure how big of a deal this is anymore.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Using the discount code PLUNGE I was able to get the BD set of MI at Deep Discount for around $90 all in. Sure it will get cheaper later but I can't believe it will get THAT much cheaper. $90 is about what I paid for two seasons of MI DVDs. I think it's a good deal assuming it isn't cropped for 16x9. And this way I'll add my voice to the group who proves there's still a market for this kind of release.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Well put, well said. I collected TV shows on DVD back in the 200X's & early 20XX's, and remember that there were numerous times they 'padded' the DVD sets by only having 1-2 episodes per Disk, when they could easily have had 3-4 episodes per Disk - without having the PQ suffer at all.

Per what you said, I think that the first go of The Streets of San Francisco could have easily been done as one 7-disc release containing all 26 episodes, the original pilot, and the bonuses that were on that first go (the pilot preview, and the brief Archerd Variety interview); the remaining ones could just as easily have been full 6-disc sets.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Per what you said, I think that the first go of The Streets of San Francisco could have easily been done as one 7-disc release containing all 26 episodes, the original pilot, and the bonuses that were on that first go (the pilot preview, and the brief Archerd Variety interview); the remaining ones could just as easily have been full 6-disc sets.

Agreed. It's ridiculous how the first TSOTF sets were padded. First, they released each season in two volumes, when they could have easily released each season as 1 volume. Also, some disks had two episodes, some had three, and others had four each - with 0 difference in the PQ between any of them. Ridiculous. This was just another way to gouge the consumer.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Agreed. It's ridiculous how the first TSOTF sets were padded. First, they released each season in two volumes, when they could have easily released each season as 1 volume. Also, some disks had two episodes, some had three, and others had four each - with 0 difference in the PQ between any of them. Ridiculous. This was just another way to gouge the consumer.

Thanks for the agreement on that! One other thing that I'd like to know: being as you agree with me that the 5 seasons' worth of The Streets of San Francisco could have been done in full releases, do you think that the volume format was justified for shows that had far more episodes in a season, like Perry Mason and The Untouchables?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks for the agreement on that! One other thing that I'd like to know: being as you agree with me that the 5 seasons' worth of The Streets of San Francisco could have been done in full releases, do you think that the volume format was justified for shows that had far more episodes in a season, like Perry Mason and The Untouchables?
I always looked at those split-season releases as money grabs. All of them I've seen would've sold poorly if released as a single season for the price of the 2 halves. By splitting it they could jack up the per season price and most people wouldn't really notice. And they're still doing it with Bonanza - 2 half seasons, each selling for a few $$ less than what should be the full season price (typically ~$60 for both halves, with a much higher MSRP, when the entire season should have a $60 MSRP while selling for ~$40-$45 at release). CBS is the absolutely worst offender with this practice.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim

Honestly, no. I don't feel it's ever justified to split up any seasons as 2 separate releases, as they did with TSOSF. Most other series (including ones with as many episodes as TSOSF) came out with single season releases, i.e. Hawaii Five O, etc. Again, this is just a way for the producers of the DVD/Blu sets to screw the consumer by forcing us to buy these two separate releases.

We spend enough money on physical media these days, especially given that it has (at least IMHO) become a niche format & many people out there are just exclusively streaming and don't buy/rent disks at all. So, the least that the makers/producers of these DVD sets can do is to release the seasons as 1 single set.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
We spend enough money on physical media these days, especially given that it has (at least IMHO) become a niche format & many people out there are just exclusively streaming and don't buy/rent disks at all.

And I believe that those who are exclusively streaming are fans of everything that's on now, and do not care for anything of old like we do (their choice, of course; I think, also, however, that these people should consider that those streaming services can go down or lose the rights to what they [the services] had, and look into purchasing releases of those shows that they like).

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
Honestly, no. I don't feel it's ever justified to split up any seasons as 2 separate releases, as they did with TSOSF.

Archive / retro tv yes but for the 2003 BSG they split season 2 and 4 into two boxsets as that was how the seasons were transmitted with a long gap inbetween so instead of having to wait months for complete sets they issued 2.0 and 4.0 first.

Of retro tv; Maverick, The Fugitve, Ron Ely's Tarzan and Daktari amongst other also had split sets.

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
George Feltenstein and his two WA Podcast partners represented Warner at the Flintstones announcement at Comic-Con 2020 which is why I assumed it was coming from Warner Archive. It sounds to me that even though this is being released by Warner Home Video and not Warner Archive, the WA people are heavily involved in this upcoming BD release along with the Bugs Bunny toons coming out.

I wish that were the case, however unfortunately Jerry Beck confirmed on Stu's Show recently that WAC was only involved in the first few episodes or so and then the whole project was shifted to WHV and George has had little to no involvement since then.

Bugs Bunny on the other hand is indeed looking to be a solid release and I'm looking forward to it. It's a shame that they seem to have recognised that theatrical animation deserves healthy bitrates and to be spared DNR but still believe that 60's TV animation should be crammed onto as few discs as possible and slammed with DNR.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Of retro tv; Maverick, The Fugitve, Ron Ely's Tarzan and Daktari amongst other also had split sets.

And so did Vega$ (1978-81 ABC detective/action series w/the late Robert Urich as Dan Tanna)...

vegasepisodeindex.jpg

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm not sure what Warners cartoons or Vegas or Streets of San Francisco has to do with MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, but I'm becoming more convinced that this full series set might be something I'll spring for, but not right away. I've got the full series on the original individual season DVDs, and I have CBS All Access which gets me to the high-def versions if I so desire. So, for me it makes sense to wait for a good sale price for my physical upgrade. That way I also get to read the reviews and make sure there are no glitches like wrong aspect ratios, etc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not sure what Warners cartoons or Vegas or Streets of San Francisco has to do with MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, but I'm becoming more convinced that this full series set might be something I'll spring for, but not right away. I've got the full series on the original individual season DVDs, and I have CBS All Access which gets me to the high-def versions if I so desire. So, for me it makes sense to wait for a good sale price for my physical upgrade. That way I also get to read the reviews and make sure there are no glitches like wrong aspect ratios, etc.
They don't so I'll be deleting the next posts that isn't Mission: Impossible related.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
I wouldn’t buy the show on Blu Ray - that’s an awful lot of episodes - but I enjoy the MeTV run on Sunday nights. I was laughing last night as Jim was seriously going through the dossiers of the agents he was going to pick. What a waste of time - he always picked the same people! Would have been funny if, after Landau and Bain left, he looked at the dossiers for Rollin and Cinnamon, and tossed them into the discard pile.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
It appears from the disc count that the bonus disc from the "dynamite" set isn't included. It had some interviews and a sampling of the next week episode previews. I'd love it it they could find and include all of those.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Amazon price for the BR set has dropped to $106.99. I suspect it'll go a bit lower.

Amazon's price looks to be a Target PM. I half way expect to see a B2G1 free sale at Target before release date. If it stays at the $107 price point they'll get my $$ for such a sale.

For me, it'd be $96 at DD using the PLUNGE coupon - but I expect their price to stay put and them to issue a 15% coupon before release date.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The Amazon price for the BR set has dropped to $106.99. I suspect it'll go a bit lower.

Amazon's price looks to be a Target PM. I half way expect to see a B2G1 free sale at Target before release date. If it stays at the $107 price point they'll get my $$ for such a sale.

For me, it'd be $96 at DD using the PLUNGE coupon - but I expect their price to stay put and them to issue a 15% coupon before release date.

keep us posted! Im interested in the set as well.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Still available, together and single seasons on Amazon:
Just like all mid-late 80s cut on tape shows, Mission: Impossible '88 looks perfectly acceptable on a CRT and nothing else. The show itself is pretty terrible as a result of being rushed to air as a means to break the Writer's Strike and there's no incentive to doing a remaster anyway.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Just like all mid-late 80s cut on tape shows, Mission: Impossible '88 looks perfectly acceptable on a CRT and nothing else. The show itself is pretty terrible as a result of being rushed to air as a means to break the Writer's Strike and there's no incentive to doing a remaster anyway.

Agree that the PQ on the '88-'90 M:I is poor, but respectfully disagree that the show itself wasn't any good. I remember seeing some episodes when it was originally out, and enjoying the stories & the updates in tech (by late '80's standards, that is). I later watched both seasons on the DVD sets & felt it was a solid & well-done series.

It's too bad that it probably can't be remastered to look much better than it is. This short-lived sequel series does deserve more fans - at least IMHO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks