What's new

CBS/Paramount Complete Series Craze (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I've seen a similar one for "Gomer Pyle USMC" too. I actually kind of like the concept since it takes less room and still seems to have the discs somewhat separated. In your experience do those have different UPC codes or are they just repackaging and using the same UPC? Just trying to figure out how to tell them apart when looking at Walmart.com.

That is a great question! Unfortunately, the versions I have of the shows I've mentioned are the only versions I've had, and as such, I cannot go back to earlier versions for comparison.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I've grown to dislike those big plastic cases CBS uses for these big multi-season sets in recent years.

I barely watch the sets I have in those. Many discs are held in a death grip, some of the hubs/prongs are out of shape enough that discs won't go back on without a struggle, it's annoying to remove the top disc to access the lower one, and I had to return my Andy Griffith Show set from Wal-Mart of the black & white seasons three times before giving up since disc 1 was loose on all of them.

The set I ended up sticking with still had a loose disc 1, but it played fine despite some minor damage and the case was undamaged enough that the disc remains attached with normal handling at home (I imagine jarring during shipping and rough handling during stocking with those spring loaded contraptions Wal-Mart likes to use for DVD's, were the culprit).

I wish every DVD manufacturer just used what season 1 of Petticoat Junction came in at release. It's well built, you don't need to remove a disc to access another, it takes no more space than a regular DVD case yet fits five discs inside, and the disc hubs aren't susceptible to damage yet hold the disc just firm enough to secure it but not make it difficult to remove it.

If I could have all my season sets in such a case, I'd jump at that opportunity.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
One thing more I've been wondering: considering that CBS goes by CBS Home Entertainment now, why do the spines on CBS releases of any stripe still have the old CBS DVD logo?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I've grown to dislike those big plastic cases CBS uses for these big multi-season sets in recent years.

I barely watch the sets I have in those. Many discs are held in a death grip, some of the hubs/prongs are out of shape enough that discs won't go back on without a struggle, it's annoying to remove the top disc to access the lower one, and I had to return my Andy Griffith Show set from Wal-Mart of the black & white seasons three times before giving up since disc 1 was loose on all of them.

The set I ended up sticking with still had a loose disc 1, but it played fine despite some minor damage and the case was undamaged enough that the disc remains attached with normal handling at home (I imagine jarring during shipping and rough handling during stocking with those spring loaded contraptions Wal-Mart likes to use for DVD's, were the culprit).

I wish every DVD manufacturer just used what season 1 of Petticoat Junction came in at release. It's well built, you don't need to remove a disc to access another, it takes no more space than a regular DVD case yet fits five discs inside, and the disc hubs aren't susceptible to damage yet hold the disc just firm enough to secure it but not make it difficult to remove it.

If I could have all my season sets in such a case, I'd jump at that opportunity.

I rip all my sets to my Plex server, so mine just sit on the shelf but agree those larger cases stink

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter

I don't like them either. The case is quite clunky to handle, and you have to fumble through it to look for the disc you want. Plus it's boring to look at---especially since all their discs have the same grey labels.
My favorite complete series package at the moment is The Little House on the Prairie compete series that comes in the shape of a house.
I like the gimmicky compact design (it fits in the palm of my hand), it's fun to look at, and it looks unique on my bookshelf! Each season is organized in a little 5" x 5.5" cardboard folder so they're easy to find. I may get some flak for this because I know people hate cardboard sleeves, but I don't watch the show everyday so it's not like I'm constantly removing and returning the discs to their folders. I only watch the show occasionally when I'm in the mood or feeling nostalgic, so it works for me.
002899i02.jpg

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I don't like them either. The case is quite clunky to handle, and you have to fumble through it to look for the disc you want. Plus it's boring to look at---especially since all their discs have the same grey labels.
My favorite complete series package at the moment is The Little House on the Prairie compete series that comes in the shape of a house.
I like the gimmicky compact design (it fits in the palm of my hand), it's fun to look at, and it looks unique on my bookshelf! Each season is organized in it's own little cardboard folder so they're easy to find. I may get some flak for this because I know people hate cardboard sleeves, but I don't watch the show everyday so it's not like I'm constantly removing and returning the discs to their folders. I only watch the show occasionally when I'm in the mood or feeling nostalgic, so it works for me.
002899i02.jpg

And even better, it's right at hand when you want it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks