What's new

The Guns of Will Sonnet: Complete Series (CBS MOD) (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I don't think anyone is expecting that. The only hope is that maybe CBS has existing tape masters that are complete but that were unavailable to Timeless when they made their release. It may be a long shot, but stranger things have happened.

That's certainly what I was thinking and hoping for. Just uncut masters that Timeless didn't have access to. Actual remastering wasn't even really in my mind (although I think others were hoping for that). But the hopeful expectation of uncut prints isn't completely absurd, imho.

Gary "as I said before, if CBS really is using the exact same prints as the Timeless releases, they are... never mind" O.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
It also made sense when CBS wanted to release titles like "My Three Son's" and "Ben Casey" and they didn't want to go through the effort of creating new HD transfers. The fact is, it can service both agenda's, we just have to wait and see in this case, which approach they are using. I'm not suggesting one or the other, just saying both still seem viable.

That's certainly what I was thinking and hoping for. Just uncut masters that Timeless didn't have access to. Actual remastering wasn't even really in my mind (although I think others were hoping for that). But the hopeful expectation of uncut prints isn't completely absurd, imho.

Gary "as I said before, if CBS really is using the exact same prints as the Timeless releases, they are... never mind" O.
ya never know - when SHOUT did season one of FKB they had to use cut and uncut prints --at my suggestion they went back to Sony who helped them find uncut masters for the rest of the series maybe CBS does have them too

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
The Guns of Will Sonnett was the second show produced by Thomas-Spelling Productions, after Rango (which first debuted in January 1967), and a year before The Mod Squad (1968-1973). The "Brenco" part of the "Thomas-Spelling-Brenco" name used here refers to Andrew Brennan (the son of Walter Brennan, who in turn played the title character).

On Rango, the additional in-credit mention of "Timkel" in the "Thomas-Spelling-Timkel" refers to Tim Conway. The standalone Thomas-Spelling logo had a zoom-in effect and even had its own fanfare, but these traits were abandoned when The Guns of Will Sonnett was broadcast (the logo used at the end was static).

~Ben

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I think there would be a better chance of getting complete episodes if a channel like METV were carrying the show. I am not sure if the show is currently being carried on one of the many subchannels now available. If this is just for home video I assume CBS will release whatever they have.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I think there would be a better chance of getting complete episodes if a channel like METV were carrying the show.

And why is that? Is MeTV showing uncut episodes of shows nowadays? I haven't watched it in maybe 10 years or so, back when I was recording 12 O'Clock High, Dobie Gillis, and other shows from it.

Then again, they might start out with copies of complete episodes, and trim to their specific needs. I was surprised that after recording a number of episodes of Naked City from RetroTV, and re-recording some of them from MeTV, that while both were cut done by roughly the same amount, an episode on one of those networks would have scenes that weren't in the other network's version.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am no expert of episode completeness. Hawaiian Eye on METV+ seems fairly complete many times with perhaps the opening episode teaser, which is repeated in the episode, cut. Several, but not all of the breaks are 2 minutes long instead of 3 or 4 minutes. I know Warner Bros made better elements for the Looney Tunes shown on METV. Perfect no, but I think they look good. One of the channels showing "All In The Family" included the tag scenes, in the early episodes, which are usually cut in syndication. All I am saying is if there is interest beyond home video for an old series, the owner may be inclined to spend money preserving it as it is generating more income than just from home video which is not much of a profit center anymore.

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I think there would be a better chance of getting complete episodes if a channel like METV were carrying the show. I am not sure if the show is currently being carried on one of the many subchannels now available. If this is just for home video I assume CBS will release whatever they have.
I would think STARZ would be the better hope, of any, since they actually at times pay for restoration. However, I'm not sure "Guns of Will Sonnett" would warrant the expense by them in either name recognition or number of episodes.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Every Saturday @ 7:30am on METV+
I would think STARZ would be the better hope, of any, since they actually at times pay for restoration. However, I'm not sure "Guns of Will Sonnett" would warrant the expense by them in either name recognition or number of episodes.
METV brings in a much larger audience via OTA Free Television, Cable and Satellite and is owned by Weigel Broadcasting who have been involved footing the bill to have classic tv remastered including Our Miss Brooks.

Attachments

• The Guns of Will Sonnett (Drama) _ TV Passport.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 67

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I suppose the CBS Television Distribution logo will be seen at the close of every episode of TGOWS in the DVD collection of the complete series!

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I wonder, also, if the series premiere episode will keep the standalone Thomas-Spelling logo with the six-note brass fanfare (in this case, a speedy rendition of what we heard in the logo on Rango earlier in 1967)? All the other episodes will have the same logo, but it now directly fades in from the credits.

~Ben

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well...unfortunately, bad news. I contacted Movie Zyng about the release. As many suspected, this release is the same as the Shout Factory release. The only change is that the rights to market have moved from Shout to AV Entertainment.
That’s a real shame. And I’m absolutely stunned that CBS would even do something like this.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
CBS have done this before. Image put out the original Twilight Zone box set, and when the disc rights reverted back to CBS, CBS reissued the exact same discs that Image had previously made. It wasn’t worth the reauthoring costs to create new discs simply to remove an old logo.

I suspect this is a similar scenario. Whether or not Timeless officially ran out of copies, I’d guess that their rights expired, and CBS is merely keeping the title in print, but going the MOS route to ensure that they’re not stuck with excess inventory.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
While THE GUNS OF WILL SONNETT ranks right up there in terms of awful DVD releases due to a double-whammy: the episodes are cut, and the picture quality is poor at best.

Still I have one other purchased western-type series that surely is just as bad, if not worse, on the picture-quality front: THE MONROES. The only saving grace for that series is that the episodes are complete - just really hard to watch with not only bad picture but bad sound as well.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
It also made sense when CBS wanted to release titles like "My Three Son's" and "Ben Casey" and they didn't want to go through the effort of creating new HD transfers. The fact is, it can service both agenda's, we just have to wait and see in this case, which approach they are using. I'm not suggesting one or the other, just saying both still seem viable.
I for one will keep my fingers cross that CBS will gift us with some more Ben Casey, if they feel they can get a few pennies out of the project...

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Well...unfortunately, bad news. I contacted Movie Zyng about the release. As many suspected, this release is the same as the Shout Factory release. The only change is that the rights to market have moved from Shout to AV Entertainment.
Did you explain to them how to spell Sonnett correctly?
icon_e_secret.gif

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Bummer if these were uncut and improved transfers I would have Purchased it as I never bought the Timeless sets due to poor quality. Looks like I still won't be purchasing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks