What's new

CBS/Paramount Complete Series Craze (1 Viewer)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Opened my complete series Cheers set last night and wondered about something. Season one and season two lack a play all function on the two discs that I watched a few episodes on. I didn't get a bootleg set, did I?
I have the individual DVD season sets of Cheers, Frasier, Taxi and others that were released by Paramount in their early days. The lack of a "play all" setting was common. I just watched season 1 of Frasier last night. It doesn't have one. Same for a booklet. Things changed when CBS Video took over distribution. Sadly, the few extras disappeared too.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have the individual DVD season sets of Cheers, Frasier, Taxi and others that were released by Paramount in their early days. The lack of a "play all" setting was common.

O-R ABC 1985-92 MacGyver being among that lot as well-- none of the individual seasonal releases had it, nor did either version of the all-in-one (the sloppily packaged original, or the newer condensed version).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
O-R Jack Lord Five-O had a "play all" for the episodes on its first regular seasonal release, but then made it to where you could only play all the episodic promos at once, but not all the episodes-- why the inconsistency?!

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
Was in my local Walmart today. Seems Paramount has released a Criminal Minds: Seasons 9-12 set and a Gunsmoke: Seasons 8-9 set. Each are priced at $39.99.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Was in my local Walmart today. Seems Paramount has released a Criminal Minds: Seasons 9-12 set ...

(Long tangential rant).

Out of all the current long running tv shows I'm still watching, Criminal Minds is one of the few I still watch every new first-run episode. For most other long running tv shows I still watch, I'm only really watching every other new first-run episode and/or whenever I'm really bored (such as the NCIS franchise, Law & Order SVU, The Big Bang Theory, etc ...).

With 15 episodes only being ordered for the current season 14 of Criminal Minds and Les Moonves being ousted from the CEO job at CBS, there's speculaton Criminal Minds might not be renewed after this season. (ie. Cast salaries going up and up, decline ratings, etc ...). No idea what the current interim managment at CBS will do about renwals in early-mid 2019.

Nevertheless, if Criminal Minds isn't renewed after the current season 14, most likely CBS/Paramount will release a complete series set. The seasons 9-12 Criminal Minds set at wallyworld would be consistent with 6-discs per season being packaged into a 24-disc case.

The question is whether a complete series Criminal Minds set will include the short lived spinoffs Beyond Borders (2016-2017) and Suspect Behavior (2011). Beyond Borders and Suspect Behavior were each 13-episode per season, where season 1 of Suspect Behavior and Beyond Borders were each 4-disc sets. (Season 2 of Suspect Behavior has not been released yet, which I'm guessing will probably also be a 4-disc set).

Hypothetically, CBS/Paramount could also release a fourth Criminal Minds partial-seasons set which consists of:

Criminal Minds season 13 = 6 discs
Criminal Minds season 14 = 4 to 6 discs (depending on whether CBS orders more episodes later)
Criminal Minds Suspect Behavior = 4 discs
Criminal Minds Beyond Borders season 1 = 4 discs
Criminal Minds Beyond Borders season 2 = 4 discs

which would sum up to 22-24 discs which could fit into one of those giant 24-discs cases.

Over the years I use to watch Criminal Minds reruns all the time, typically on AETV. Though in recent times, AETV discontinued their syndication of Criminal Minds reruns. Allegedly Criminal Minds was picked up for syndication on the We TV cable channel, which I'm not subscribed to.

https://www.cinemablend.com/televis...new-cable-channel-and-there-will-be-marathons

Other than random recent episodes being rerun on as "filler" on CBS' schedule, I haven't really watched many Criminal Minds reruns since they disappeared from AETV.

In spite of my misgivings about current tv shows not being released on bluray at all (or being discontinued on bluray), I might be willing to buy a Criminal Minds complete series dvd set.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Saw some more partial multiple-seasons sets today.

- the original Beverly Hills 90210 - seasons 1-3 (22 discs)
- the oringal Melrose Place - seasons 1-3 (24 discs)
- the original Dynasty season 5-7 (23 discs)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I keep looking for Combat! at my local Wal-Mart, but still no luck. Disappoints me that CBS apparently isn't going to reissue this on their own now that the DVD rights have returned.

Glad they did it with The Twilight Zone at least and I believe I understand why they didn't with The Dick Van Dyke Show (With how low the Blu-Ray prices got at one time for instance, I'm not sure there's much untapped demand left). But I believe I'm far from alone in missing out on Combat!.

The Image sets were always a bit pricey, had small print runs, and didn't stay around long. And buying used risks buying bootlegs since the counterfeiters seemingly made more sets of this one than Image ever did.

Guess it's Ebay and hope for the best.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
And another thing I just learned: that sticker on one of these all-in-ones that says something like "Includes All 119 Episodes on 31 Discs," as on The Untouchables, for instance-- that's called a "hype sticker." I think it's called that because they want to sell these releases by telling you something about what they will entail (at least that's just my guess).

Here's the hype sticker from my copy of that Untouchables all-in-one:

untouchables2.jpg

And here's the review of the Wild Wild West all-in-one from which I learned this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00TZF2KEU

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Bumping this up: yes, this is two posts in a row on the same topic, but I just saw on EBay a version of CBS' condensed all-in-one of O-R Jack Lord Five-O where the individual four-packs within ("four-packs" because each folder has four seasons' worth) seem to be somewhat digipak-like (perhaps I'm wrong, but to me, that's what it looks like):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hawaii-Fiv...=item3d846bb3b0:g:2zQAAOSwea5cdLIn:rk:26:pf:0

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Not CBS, but I thought that I would share that I have been seeing sets by Universal at Walmart - Magnum and the A Team. Same packaging.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Not CBS, but I thought that I would share that I have been seeing sets by Universal at Walmart - Magnum and the A Team. Same packaging.

I saw those too-- even Fox has been getting in that game, w/MTM and Lost in Space, among others.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I saw those too-- even Fox has been getting in that game, w/MTM and Lost in Space, among others.

Oh yeah Fox too. I felt like Fox had been discussed at some point. I actually picked up the MTM during the holidays.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
O-R ABC 1985-92 MacGyver being among that lot as well-- none of the individual seasonal releases had it, nor did either version of the all-in-one (the sloppily packaged original, or the newer condensed version).
The 22-episode seasons: I also did not like that they did not properly divide the last couple of episodes. On both seasons 1 and 2, there are four episodes on disc 5 and the last two on disc 6; both could have had three per disc to even it out (as long as special features aren't concerned).

And with The Young Lawyers (an MOD release), this uneven division of episodes per disc (in this case, 24 episodes + TV movie) resulted in disc 6 having five episodes instead of the usual maximum of four 1-hours; rather, the last nine episodes should be on three discs which would then make this be a seven-disc set (which is exactly the same as how the seasons 2-3 DVD sets of both the O-R Mission: Impossible and Mannix were compiled/packaged).

~Ben

Last edited:

cpalmer2k

Agent
Real Name
Chad
So I've been looking recently at picking up a few "Complete Series" sets for shows I've missed. Based on the photos I'm seeing have they "reinvented" some of these packages yet again? For Laverne and Shirley I'm seeing two versions. The first has a slip case with Seasons 1-5 being in one case and Seasons 6-8 being in a second. But there is another version on eBay that appears to show everything in one plastic case of some kind. Does the one with the "one plastic case" have all the discs just stacked up spindle style inside of it as it appears?

s-l1600.jpg

Version 2:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
But there is another version on eBay that appears to show everything in one plastic case of some kind. Does the one with the "one plastic case" have all the discs just stacked up spindle style inside of it as it appears?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

That second version is actually the way that many all-in-one releases that I have gotten lately (three from CBS [Have Gun, Will Travel, The Untouchables, and The Streets of San Francisco]), and one from Universal [The A-Team]) have come; I would imagine that Laverne & Shirley has it too.

cpalmer2k

Agent
Real Name
Chad
That second version is actually the way that many all-in-one releases that I have gotten lately (three from CBS [Have Gun, Will Travel, The Untouchables, and The Streets of San Francisco]), and one from Universal [The A-Team]) have come; I would imagine that Laverne & Shirley has it too.

I've seen a similar one for "Gomer Pyle USMC" too. I actually kind of like the concept since it takes less room and still seems to have the discs somewhat separated. In your experience do those have different UPC codes or are they just repackaging and using the same UPC? Just trying to figure out how to tell them apart when looking at Walmart.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks