What's new

CBS/Paramount Complete Series Craze (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Also, I think I saw one other there that was not an all-in-one-- two Epiks of CSI: Miami (I think it was 6 seasons' worth).

This would actually make ense.

IIRC the first four seasons of CSI: Miami were each 7-disc sets, while seasons 5 and 6 were each 6-disc sets. (Seasons 7 and 8 were each 7-disc sets, iirc).

So seasons 1-3 would be a 21-disc set, and seasons 4-6 would be a 19-disc set.

(Seasons 7-10 would be a 25-disc set).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
From Paramount/CBS, today Walmart also had:

Gunsmoke: Seasons 5-7 (guess they went with just 3 seasons since Season 7 begins the hourlong eps.)

This would make sense.

According to the amazon listings, the Gunsmoke disc counts are:

season 5 = 6 discs
season 6 = 6 discs
season 7 = 10 discs
season 8 = 10 discs

which makes the seasons 5-7 a 22-disc set.

The largest sized single epicpak case I have seen so far (used by CBS/Paramount), is a 25-disc case. (For example, the rebooted Hawaii Five-0 seasons 1-4 dvd set is a 25-disc set in a single large epicpak case).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I just happened to realize that I may be incorrect on that CSI: Miami release-- unfortunately, I cannot determine until CBS' new all-in-one of that series comes out 11/14/17; what I might be incorrect about (and as stated, what cannot be verified until the all-in-one is released) is how many seasons were in that Wal-Mart exclusive of the two Epiks (I had said 6, but it may have been more; if anyone else saw that specific Wal-Mart exclusive at their local store, please inform).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I just happened to realize that I may be incorrect on that CSI: Miami release-- unfortunately, I cannot determine until CBS' new all-in-one of that series comes out 11/14/17; what I might be incorrect about (and as stated, what cannot be verified until the all-in-one is released) is how many seasons were in that Wal-Mart exclusive of the two Epiks (I had said 6, but it may have been more; if anyone else saw that specific Wal-Mart exclusive at their local store, please inform).

Mayberry66guy mentioned seeing a CSI:Miami seasons 4-6 set in a previous post (#350).

In principle a CSI:Miami seasons 4-7 could be doable, if CBS/Paramount are using a 26-disc epikpak case. Though so far I haven't seen any 26-disc CBS/Paramount sets done as a single large epicpak case.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Mayberry66guy mentioned seeing a CSI:Miami seasons 4-6 set in a previous post (#350).

In principle a CSI:Miami seasons 4-7 could be doable, if CBS/Paramount are using a 26-disc epikpak case. Though so far I haven't seen any 26-disc CBS/Paramount sets done as a single large epicpak case.

Just referenced, and I think that confirms it as what I saw. If that user saw it that way, then perhaps my recollection of what I saw is correct.

BTW, there was an all-in-one of Charmed that was packaged like the Dynasty and CSI: Miami releases were.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
@bmasters9

What are the timestamps on the season 1 Dynasty discs from your Dynasty seasons 1-7 set?

When you play the first disc from season 1, is the first thing which shows up a menu which gives a choice of english or spanish?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Did the Charmed set have a box or slipcase?

No-- the two Epiks were shrinkwrapped together beside each other, the spine of the one touching the opening of the other (at least I think that's how it was).

@bmasters9

What are the timestamps on the season 1 Dynasty discs from your Dynasty seasons 1-7 set?

When you play the first disc from season 1, is the first thing which shows up a menu which gives a choice of english or spanish?

1. The timestamps on that first disc (the one that I checked on) are of 11/7/16, various times between 5:37 P.M. and 5:42 P.M.

2. If by the choice of English or Spanish you mean the choice of language to display the FBI warning in (the part that comes up after the CBS DVD logo), then yes, it is.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Thanks bmasters9 for looking up the timestamp info.

It sounds like the season 1 Dynasty discs in the seasons 1-7 set, are the same ones from the February 2017 re-release which appeared to be using some older non-HD transfers.

Recently season 1 had newer hd transfers made (according to the CBS syndication bible). I would have hoped CBS would do a new dvd pressing for the season 1 using these newer hd transfers. But alas, CBS probably didn't think it was worth the effort.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Thanks bmasters9 for looking up the timestamp info.

It sounds like the season 1 Dynasty discs in the seasons 1-7 set, are the same ones from the February 2017 re-release which appeared to be using some older non-HD transfers.

Not a problem on that (the timestamp question)!

Also, it seems, outside of the menus and the inclusion of the Fox bonuses (commentary not included), that this is a somewhat modified edition of the original first-season double-sided Fox release.

Last edited:

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
Just referenced, and I think that confirms it as what I saw. If that user saw it that way, then perhaps my recollection of what I saw is correct.

BTW, there was an all-in-one of Charmed that was packaged like the Dynasty and CSI: Miami releases were.

Yes, that is correct. My nearest Walmart only offered the CSI: Miami Seasons 4-6 set. That same Walmart only has the original Hawaii Five-0: Seasons 5-8 set. That's odd to me that they would only be selling "middle-of-the-series" sets.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That's odd to me that they would only be selling "middle-of-the-series" sets.

I guess it's just the inventory that happens to arrive in the trailers as they're delivered to each individual store, isn't it? That would be my guess.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Here's a glossy catalog of CBS' other condensed all-in-ones of their series; I looked through here, and Vega$ wasn't listed (probably because each catalog is printed differently depending on which release you purchase-- just my guess; this one came in my copy of that Vega$ all-in-one).

cbsparamountcompleteseriescatalogcover.jpg
cbsparamountcompleteseriescatalog1.jpg
cbsparamountcompleteseriescatalog2.jpg
cbsparamountcompleteseriescatalog3.jpg
cbsparamountcompleteseriescatalog4.jpg
cbsparamountcompleteseriescatalog5.jpg
cbsparamountcompleteseriescatalog6.jpg
cbsparamountcompleteseriescatalog7.jpg

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thanks for posting these pictures of this CBS/P flyer, Ben! This must be included in recent production runs for the Christmas season, as I have the Vega$ compete condensed set that was released back in May (I believe) and there was no such insert in mine...of all these condensed complete series sets from CBS, I've only gotten Vega$ and The Odd Couple...all the other CBS series I've wanted are previously purchased single season or half season volumes...at a much greater cumulative cost in money and shelf space...the Westerns especially...23 cases for Gunsmoke alone...I could fill a bookcase with just those and the ones for HGWT, Rawhide, Www and Bonanza...and, I haven't yet gotten all the Perry Mason half season volumes I want yet either...crunching the numbers to see if I've reached the point of no return in whether it's better to buy a complete series release versus the cost of finishing the run with half season volumes...and then I ponder the same thing with Hawaii 5-0, egad...

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Thanks for posting these pictures of this CBS/P flyer, Ben! This must be included in recent production runs for the Christmas season, as I have the Vega$ compete condensed set that was released back in May (I believe) and there was no such insert in mine...

Not a problem! And also, that's interesting, because that Taxi one was in my local Wal-Mart a time back (I didn't purchase it, though), and I think it might have had the same kind of flyer in it, judging by looking inside through the top.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Opened my complete series Cheers set last night and wondered about something. Season one and season two lack a play all function on the two discs that I watched a few episodes on. I didn't get a bootleg set, did I?

Unless Shout's season one discs for complete set of The Phil Silvers Show are direct clones of the CBS discs, all my other CBS DVD's have always had a play all function to the best of my knowledge.

Nothing else seems off in any way.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Opened my complete series Cheers set last night and wondered about something. Season one and season two lack a play all function on the two discs that I watched a few episodes on. I didn't get a bootleg set, did I?

Unless Shout's season one discs for complete set of The Phil Silvers Show are direct clones of the CBS discs, all my other CBS DVD's have always had a play all function to the best of my knowledge.

Nothing else seems off in any way.

The easiest way I've found to check for bootlegs of a legitimate release is to place a disk in a computer drive and check the size. Typically, a boot will be a single layer disk (< 4.7 GB) while a legit disk will be on a dual layer disk (in the 5 to 7.6 GB range). That is if the disk is expecting to hold 3 hours or more of content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks