What's new

CATV Splitters? (1 Viewer)

LewB

Screenwriter
Looks like the more expensive one will 'pass DC' thru both legs.
I think that may be needed for satellite TV. I believe that DSS has a low voltage running on the line (less than 20VDC) along with the signal. I'm guessing that this voltage is used by the in-line amps that you can buy for satellite TV. Since you said that you will be using the splitter for CATV, I don't think that you should care either way. I think that you could even use splitters that are marked 5Mhz - 1000MHz. Might save a few pennies if that's important. Like I said, I'm not 100% sure, so someone please correct me where necessary.

LewB

Screenwriter
Kevin:
DO NOT use the 900MHz. splitters ! Believe it or not, the 1000MHz splitters are the ones you need !
A long time ago I was having problems with my CATV, picture was poor and grainy. Got the cable guy out to the house and he discovered 2 things:
1) There was a problem with the wire from the pole to the house, he changed that.
2) He asked me what kind of splitters I was using. When I told him that I was using the basic Home Depot/Radio Shack kind he went out to the truck and gave me a free replacement for all the ones I had installed. They were 5MHz-1000MHz. and each leg of the splitter was marked with the amount that it attenuated (decreased) the signal. 3 way splitters had two -7db legs and one -3.5db leg. I used the leg with the least attenuation on the longest wire runs I had, and the -7db legs on the short runs.
Problem solved !!!
Get splitters that pass at least 1000MHz, you won't be sorry.

LewB

Screenwriter
Yeah, I think 2Gig will work anywhere (mandatory for satellite TV) . 1Gig (1000MHz) will work for CATV. And you can take the 900Mhz ones and use 'em for paperweights.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Cool. Went to Frys Electronics, and they had the 900 MHz one for $2.49, and the 2 GHz for $3.99. Got the 2 GHz one in that I figured the 1st one would probably work for normal analog cable, but that I should hedge my bets for digital cable... :)

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
I used a 1gig Regal isolation splitter with 3.5db attentuation and it works excellent. Less than 1gig and I experience lines going thru the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks