CATV Splitter Questions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John DeSantis, Sep 28, 2005.

1. John DeSantis

John DeSantis Stunt Coordinator

I'm having problems with some Cable Signals and also my Cable Modem. I am using a Monster Cable 8-way CATV splitter ( 5-1000 mhz ) I had no problems untill I got an HD Cable box. ( motorola DCT 6412 ) when they installed it the Guy also put a Filter on each leg of the splitter. They are Eagle EMWHP filters. Not sure what they do or if really needed.

http://www.eaglefilters.com/Products...w_filters.html

Anyway, everthing seemed OK but I started getting knocked offline every once in awhile. I would have to power down the Modem etc. It started hppening more and more so I had them out to change the modem. This Guy also added a TAP with one leg feeding the splitter and the other my Modem. But the problem is still there. Every once in awhile I just lose the Internet connection even though all the lights on the modem stay lit and the Activity light kind of freezes or blinks very little.

I know the 8 way splitter is alot but I didn't have any trouble before the HD box and all the Filters they installed. My questions are should I try another splitter? Remove the filters? I have tried the modem through different connections off the splitter. Also tried removing the Tap. Most of my TV signals are good except for the Analog Channels fedding my 4805 PJ but those are bad for everybody....

If I unhook some lines from the splitter do I need to terminate them or just not using them will reduce the attenutation?

Sorry this is so long but needed to expalin everything.

Thanks

2. John S

John S Producer

8 way splitter and HD? Not a good combo. There is a big DB drop for every split. And HD needs a strong signal.

3. John DeSantis

I know it is not a great setup but they didn't seem to think it was a problem when they installed the HD Box..they checked the signal strength ...

My HD channels are great. I could drop down to a 6-way but not sure I need that. That's why I asked if I could just remove 2 lines to reduce attenuation and would I need to terminate (short out ) the unused ports.

4. John S

John S Producer

If you getting knocked off line, I'll bet it is unrelated even though highly coincidental.

for a test, I'd only hook up the cable modem for a few hours and see how it goes without the spliter.

Any splitting should certainly come after their split. When I had cable HD and cable internet, I actually got two different lines from them and only split the cable TV once....

5. John DeSantis

I could test that way but it may go for a day and be OK and then the next day hang 3 times.

Are you saying they ran two seperate cable lines from the pole to your House? Did they charge extra for that?

I think it's something else. As I said, I had no trouble using this splitter before they installed the HD box and those traps/filters. I called and asked and they claim they're needed for each line.

If the Modem troubles continue I'll just have to get them back out here.

Thanks

6. John S

John S Producer

No, not from the pole. I'm not sure where they split it off as it is under my house and I never looked.