What's new

Catfisch Cinema (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've decided on a new projector, and to my own surprise, I'm buying a used JVC NX7!

A friend is buying an NZ9 and I'm buying their NX7. It's still TBD when they get the their new projector so I don't know when I'm actually buying the new projector. Hopefully before Thanksgiving.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I've decided on a new projector, and to my own surprise, I'm buying a used JVC NX7!

A friend is buying an NZ9 and I'm buying their NX7. It's still TBD when they get the their new projector so I don't know when I'm actually buying the new projector. Hopefully before Thanksgiving.
Congratulations Dave! You've found the very best way to buy a pre-owned item, from a trusted friend. I'm likely going to have to delay my projector upgrade until next year as I have this arriving within the next few weeks, so it's time to pay for it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Don't mean to spoil your anticipation, excitement, etc, but didn't you say the (very?) sluggish framerate/HDMI sync/handshake would make the old NX line intolerable for you? :P

But yes, as John just said, if buying such used, this is probably the best, most reliable way/option (buying from a good friend) me thinks...

Congrats!

:cheers:

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Don't mean to spoil your anticipation, excitement, etc, but didn't you say the (very?) sluggish framerate/HDMI sync/handshake would make the old NX line intolerable for you? :P

But yes, as John just said, if buying such used, this is probably the best, most reliable way/option (buying from a good friend) me thinks...

Congrats!

:cheers:

_Man_
Yes, yes I did. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Congratulations Dave! You've found the very best way to buy a pre-owned item, from a trusted friend. I'm likely going to have to delay my projector upgrade until next year as I have this arriving within the next few weeks, so it's time to pay for it.

You’re buying single, high-end, center speaker? How does that integrate with your system?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm likely going to have to delay my projector upgrade until next year as I have this arriving within the next few weeks, so it's time to pay for it.

For some reason, thought you already bought/have that alongside the Legacy Focus SEs for your front L/R some time ago...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You’re buying single, high-end, center speaker? How does that integrate with your system?
His front speakers are Legacy Focus SE, which are the matching models. I'll leave it to John on whether to relate the history... :P

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was on the cusp of contacting dealers and getting price and availability for a new JVC NZ7. My priorities were the JVC strengths: dark blacks, high contrast, and competent integrated tone mapping. I also really wanted low fan noise of a laser, so decided against the NP5, though it’s probably the best choice for under $10k.

But I’ve got anxiety over spending $11k for a consumer electronics product. Let alone one that I still don’t really know if it’s the right set of features for my tastes and room characteristics. Maybe I should buy the Epson LS12000. Maybe I should go up to the NZ8? The NZ7 is a huge splurge to buy myself out of most any regrets.

And then a friend texted me and offered me his 3 year old NX7 as he’s replacing it with an NZ9.

I checked going prices (completed sales) for used NX7 and realized this compromise was what I wanted to do right now. The NX7 has design compromises that I wasn’t going to accept at new pricing, or even at its $7k final-stock pricing.

But current used pricing for an NX7 is under new LS12000 pricing. I get the JVC black levels, contrast, and DMT. It’s got a newish bulb. And I found trusted third-party replacement bulbs are ~$100 (not the $700 I feared). My friend also has a ceiling mount adapter he’s selling to me, so that’s taken care of.

I don’t buy expensive used electronics. So many things can go wrong between hidden device problems they’re trying to foist onto someone else plus the risks of shipping.

But this is someone I know. I trust him and vice versa. He’s not super close, but I can drive there and pick up the projector in person, and PayPal him the money.

I can live with this for six months, a year, two years, and find out in my theater if I really want this caliber projector. Worst case, I hate it for the long sync times and loud fan, I can sell it used for a minor loss and go back to buying what I really want be it an LS12000 or an NZ7, properly informed by an extended demo in my own home. Or I can keep the used NX7 for three years until the next major refresh and go big with a JVC NZ8 successor.

Buying used saves me so much money in the short term that it also lets me accelerate upgrades that were going to be back burnered by an NZ7 purchase. Among other things, I can figure out if I need a new screen and buy that next year.

So, a set of compromises I wasn’t thinking about, but unexpectedly made sense to me right now.

I’m hoping to have it before Thanksgiving. But I’m not really in a rush so whenever he gets his NZ9 and I have a free weekend to get out and pick up the NX7. :)

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

For some reason, thought you already bought/have that alongside the Legacy Focus SEs for your front L/R some time ago...

_Man_

Whew.

For a moment I was afraid he’d taken seriously my suggestion to buy a single lux center channel to listen to AM talk radio on. 😆
I should have probably provided some context but didn't want to steal Dave's moment.

I bought the Legacy Focus SE's in 2020 along with [at that time] the step down Silverscreen HD Center. While I personally had no real issues with the Silverscreen model, the Marquis XD is the true companion to the Focus SE. After about a year I sold the Silverscreen while simultaneously waiting for a gently used Marquis XD to appear on the secondary market. While a couple did, either their condition or asking price wasn't compelling enough to warrant purchase so I bit the bullet and ordered a new one. Did I mention I'm a crazy enthusiast?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Congratulations, Dave - it sounds like you found the perfect middle ground for the moment! May your new (old) projector bring you much enjoyment!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It helps that my wife enjoys the theater too. We’re down here watching shows together most every night. And we host the rare (due to schedules, not our unwillingness) movie party with friends.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It helps that my wife enjoys the theater too. We’re down here watching shows together most every night. And we host the rare (due to schedules, not our unwillingness) movie party with friends.
That does help. In my wife's eyes, "a screen is a screen." She'd just assume watch feature films on the 50" set in the bedroom. When we do watch movies in the theater she thinks I'm crazy for wanting it so loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks