What's new

Carols From King's DVD - Great! (1 Viewer)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Since we're getting to that time of year again, I'd thought I just write a little bit about this wonderful DVD called Carols From King's.

The boy's/men's choir at King's College (Cambridge) certainly have some cd's out there but this DVD is truly special!!! With the caveat of needing to have DTS ability as it has no other 5.1 track. The other track is PCM Stereo which ain't bad but it is the DTS track that is truly something special (16/9 anamorphic and well-filmed).

The beautiful church at King's College comes alive as if you are in the middle of the church with the sounds washing over you. The choir is terrific and the audio is special and will be a delight to the most jaded of audio hounds out there. Wait to you hear the organ! If you have a truly kicking audio setup ... this disc is a no-brainer.

The problem in the past was finding it. I got mine at Virgin Megastore three years ago. I got one last year from Amazon Marketplace (used) as a gift for someone and it was not cheap. Now DDD has it listed for under $20. If they really have it in stock, this is a no-brainer as a gift for someone that would appreciate the non-secular music.

You'll thank me. :)

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Rich, thanks for posting about the King's College Choir DVD. I didn't know there was one. I love them so much. It's just heavenly and chilling to listen to them. Takes me away to a different place. I've seen their PBS special in the past. I'll definitely have to look for the DVD.

I love everything I've heard from them, especially their performance of John Rutter's "What Sweeter Music". Is that song on the DVD?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Yes, a listing of the performances would help. Here is a listing from the service.

Once in Royal David's City
Quem pastores laudavere
In dulci jubilo
Angels from the realms of glory
In the bleak midwinter
Quittez, pasteurs
While shepherds watched
Silent Night
The Shepherd's Carol
The Angels and the Shepherds
Riu, riu, chiu
O little town of Bethlehem
The Shepherd's Farewell
I wonder as I wander
Small wonder the star
Sussex Carol
Gloria in excelsis Deo
God rest ye merry gentlemen
Hark! the herald angels sing

There is also a recording of a 1954 King's College service on the DVD as well but the fidelity is more of a historical recording than musically interesting. Here is a exterior shot of the church.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Rich, thanks for the heads-up. This sounds great. I just ordered it at DDD - unfortunately it is not in stock. We'll see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks