What's new

Car audio site, as good as HTF?? (1 Viewer)

Bolivar G

Second Unit
I just bought a 2003 1500 Ram Quadcab, Hemi /w 20" rims.
The factory sound system is pretty much crap. Its the 1st upgrade I want to do. The rest of the truck dont need much change, looks pretty bad ass already:D Proably only get a bedliner and bed cover.

Anyways, I want to know if there any sites for caraudio that rule like HTF rules for home audio.

KyleGS

Second Unit
yepper- try this. .

BTW- very nice truck. I've been drooling since I've seen my first one. AS soon as I get out of Pharm.D. school I'm heading to the dodge dealership.

Look into the Image Dynamics "chameleon" components and two IDQv2 10" subs under the rear seat. Push these with new JBL BP power series amps from ebay (Scala1) or used soundstream amps on eBAY. (Rub 302, 502, or 1002)

Send me pics of that truck!!
[email protected]

DerrickW

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah, and the IDQv2 are good, but the IDMax are their better line now. The Adire Brahma and JL Audio W7 are also top-ranked these days. There is a much broader spectrum of good components to list though. As us here if you want, or try there too. I've been doing IASCA competition for a while and currently use MBQuart Q series components with JL Audio subs, Pioneer Premier processors/source, and Rockford's old power series amps. I've designed plenty of other systems though for various price ranges and tastes.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Thanks for the info guys!!
Poking around the net I found this,Probox Never heard of these guys and they dont list a price anywhere on the site, but that Box looks pretty nice, wonder if its anygood?? I have the 60/40 split beanch in the rear.

I dont have a digital camera yet :frowning: I think I should buy some cheapie to take some, everyone keeps asking me for pictures :D But I can say this, its a black beauty!! All black and only the emblems and grill are chrome has a very nice look. The factory 20" polished alumimun Rims are good looking enough that you dont have to do much to the truck in the looks department.

Anyways thanks for the info guys, have to put my home theater on hold for awhile and work on my truck updated sound system! Good thing I only have the TV and upgraded speakers to go to finish completly upgrading the Home theater.

Mark gas

Second Unit
main thing you wanna know is how much air space the box has, and looks ported you want to know what's it tuned to.
Also elitecaraudio.com kicks a ss. It's more of a SQ forum.
Caraudioforum.com is more general.
termpro.com is all out spl.

KyleGS

Second Unit
Oh yeah, and the IDQv2 are good, but the IDMax are their better line now. The Adire Brahma and JL Audio W7 are also top-ranked these days. There is a much broader spectrum of good components to list though. As us here if you want, or try there too. I've been doing IASCA competition for a while and currently use MBQuart Q series components with JL Audio subs, Pioneer Premier processors/source, and Rockford's old power series amps. I've designed plenty of other systems though for various price ranges and tastes.
I agree- I've run the IDMAX before. However- I'd love to see him do a stealth install under a rear seat with those beasts!

Sounddomain does have a few bad apples but there are some very helpful and well informed guys over there that would be glad to help out.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
I mostly want to add some bass. Proably hidden under the rear seats. I dont want go and start tearing up my interior just yet :D

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
I have been a member of www.caraudioforum.com for quite some time now.

Every forum will have its "bad apples" but there are quite a few knowledgeable people over there.

That box looks rather strange to me.....isn't anyone else wondering about the way you mount the subs? I mean....its fine if you invert the sub.....but then the sub is going to be down below the box....underneath the seat. That will probably end up canceling alot of the output. Also...you need to decide how much space you can give up..., then decide, how much money you are going to spend, and then decide how much bass you want...(in that order)Because the last one will be determined by the prior two.

Also, what type of bass? SPL or SQ? 50/50?

I would recommend getting some high caliber subs, with a decent amp to power them...one that will give you some headroom. For subs, look into JL W7, Adire Audio Brahma,
E Design, Better Audio, Image Dynamics, and Resonant Engineering. All of these companies offer " super subs" that are capable of amazing output, while still sounding fantastic. I would recommend having a skilled box builder make the box though..... there are not many prefab boxes that would work very well,(for most of these subs), or let you get the full potential out of the sub.

Hope this helps.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Since there seems to be some car audio guys here also :) I would just like to keep asking on this thread some more questions.

What do guys think of this Sub Box ??

I think have narrowed down sub choices between Image Dynamics's IDQ10V.2 D4 and JL Audio's 10W3v2. These 2 subs are more evenly priced and in my price range. I would like the W6 or W7 but they are bit more pricey and require alot more airspace that I dont have.

If I want some good thump I want spl then right?? Im still not to sure what SQ vs SPL means. Looking strictly at the stats of the subs the JL audio looks slightly better on paper?
What do you guys think?? Which sub is better for small enclousures and give me the most thump. Any help you guys can provide much appreciated, thanks
:)

KyleGS

Second Unit
The IDQ in my opinion will be better suited for very small enclosures. The IDQ is known to have incomparable SQ (sound quality) in its price range. The JL would probably get a little louder than the IDQ but I doubt anything noticeable. Overall I think the pair of IDQ's would be better suited for your application ___IMO__

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
Bolivar,
Sounddomain.com has pretty good prices and great service on everything. That box should do the trick. Just get a good amp to run them and you'll be happy with either the IDQs or JLs. There are usually great deals on the Sounddomain Cool Classifieds for subs and a good two channel or 4 channel amp that could handle the subs. Too bad you weren't in the market 3 weeks ago. I sold 2 Phoenix Gold Xmax 10 inchers for pretty cheap. They would've worked well in that box.

If you have a limited budget I'd look at a quality older amp. You can usually pick them up a lot cheaper and they can easliy provide enough power for the two subs. A lot of the cheap newer subs have some pretty wild claims on power for their price (and heatsinks). The older Precision Power, Rockford, and Orion amps were very solid quality amps. Not to say that there aren't newer good amps, but you just have to be careful about outrageous claims.

Frank

KyleGS

Second Unit
I'm always weiry of pre-fab boxes like that. If you get that box I would suggest taking a few hours and caulking the heck out of EVERY joint in the box to ensure a good seal. Why not get the exact dimensions and build it your self or have a shop, friend, or carpenter build it?

The IDQ's can be found cheaper @ www.carmedia1.com. When you find the sub, COPY the link. Now go to the SD website and find the sub again. Click on price match 105% or something. Then you will enter your link and price for SD to match. They usually don't match the price but do come off the org. price some.

Also look on eBAY for Scala1 and find a JBL BP 600.1 amp--its a great price for an estimated 650-700w amp. You should wire a pair of D2's to get a 2 ohm mono load to feed to the JBL. ALL SET!!

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I am a member at several car audio sites, and Link Removed is the best I have come across. There aren't any (at least that I have found) that have the same maturity level that HTF has. Sounddomain is the worst of the lot as far as having a lot of PITA 16 year olds. (man, I am turning into a grumpy old man, and I am not out of college yet). CAF is a decent site with many of the knowledgeable folks from ECA frequenting there.

As for subs to look at, the choices given are all what I would reccomend as well. If you are not wanting to use a lot of space, the IDQ is a spectacular sub. For a little bit more space the IDMax is awesome. Head and shoulders better than most subs out there. The JL W7 series are also terrific. If you can give up more space than about 1.5-2.0 cuft, then a shiva is a great sub with a lower budget threshold than a Max, Brahma, or W7.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
I dont have the slightest clue on building any sub boxes and how to even get demensions. I also dont want to modify my back seat to make room for larger subs either. I want something I can just slip underneath the space already there and not be seen. Thats what these pre-fab boxes are, just slip them in. At least I think , thats what they are claiming:D

Home theather I can install my self:D But with car audio I'm a wuss and dont want to mess up a brand new truck. Hell I just bearly broke the 400 mile mark today :D I'm going to buy all the compenants and parts I want 1st then have everything installed proffesionally to look like there is nothing there.

Thanks guys for all the info and links, really appreciate it.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Those Elemental Designs 10" subs look pretty nice to. The K10 must be brand new? The site says it dont start shipping till june 1. Are these subs better than IDQ's? Because if you pre-order them right now you get 15% off.
$110 a piece is nicely priced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks