What's new

Can't get turntable to work with my receiver (1 Viewer)

Carrie

Auditioning
Hi everybody. I have an old turntable bought in the mid to late 80's. We wanted to hook it up to our home theater system. We have a Pioneer XV-HTD330 DVD/CD Receiver with a Tuner and surround sound speakers. I hook up the turntable to the analog input jacks on the back of the receiver, but all we get is a quiet playing of a record even when we turn to the receiver to maximum volume. Any suggestions? We would really like to listen to our records. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Carrie

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Phono signals are significantly lower than other components, as you have already seen, so they don’t work with regular inputs. You will need a phono pre-amp. I think you should be able to find one at Radio Shack. The ’table will first connect to the pre-amp, the pre-amp will go to your analog input jack.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

luke_ha

Stunt Coordinator
just out of curiosity who really believes that that 15k phono stage is really worth it?

BartJY

Grip
You might have a receiver that has a switch for moving magnetic (MM) or moving coil (MC) type of cartridge. Make sure it’s on the correct setting. A wrong setting will cause that problem. Or as other have suggested you might need a phone cartridge amp. I think Radio Shack sells such a thing.

Scott_N

Second Unit
Well the only way a super expensive phono preamp could even be considered IMO is if you have a super expensive moving coil cartridge with very very low output of .1mv or less and you need alot of gain and a preamp that is dead quiet and has alot of loading options and is tubed. I doubt very many people own the Zanden and those that do probably have over 20k in their table/arm and cartridge. So I would say that for 99.9% of audiophiles it wouldn't be worth it but for that .1% that want to get the most out of their vinyl that is possible and cost is no object I would say maybe but heck even my dream phono preamp the Lamm LP2 costs less than half the Zanden.

Mark Riley

Agent
Although this may not help, I have an 80's Fisher record player/tape deck and I connected Red/White Audio wires from the Auxillary ports to the receiver in the SACD input. Another input might work too.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
because its a tape deck combo it might already ahve a phono preamp, which is why it would work in those ports of the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks