What's new

Can Microsoft launch the ultimate tablet? Will you buy one or buy an iPad? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If it's NOT a Win 8 tablet, if it's something out of left field like Courier then YES I WILL.
If it's a Win8 tablet: unlikely unless we are missing what makes it special.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
My immediate family owns *three* iPads, and we love them.
However, I would at least consider the announced Windows 8 Pro Surface tablet due to the versatility -- assuming that it's able to achieve its full potential with Metro app support. But it would be primarily an Ultrabook replacement/productivity machine for me when I'm traveling.
For any other purpose I would still use the iPad. And to tell you the truth I can almost get everything I need done on the road now with an iPad by utilizing the Zagg keyboard case and running LogMein tied into the office PC workstation.
These Surface tablets may have come a little too late unless Microsofts' strategy of using Metro as the front end for Windows 8 ends up being an absolute grand slam.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I love my current iPad (Gen3) but I’ll look at the MS tablet with an open mind since I do not worship at the altar of Apple and don’t think Steve was any kind of Saint.
I like some of the items that MS is putting into their tablet like the USB port. Hopefully MS’s offering will push Apple into supporting some of these features in the future much like the Zune pushed Apple into improving the iPod line.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Patrick_S said:
I like some of the items that MS is putting into their tablet like the USB port. Hopefully MS’s offering will push Apple into supporting some of these features in the future much like the Zune pushed Apple into improving the iPod line.
Ya' know, it's interesting that at this time last year there were literally hundreds of rumors regarding a possible "iPad Pro" which was said to be essentially a "MacBook Air running iOS with a detachable keyboard." That device was also rumored to include a ThunderPort for docking with an external hard drive and large display.
Well those rumors died down after November of last year to be replaced by a rumor of an "iPad Nano" with a 7" screen to compete with the Kindle Fire. Now those rumors are also starting to die since its been obvious that once Apple offered the discounted iPad 2 in March of this year consumers have been purchasing that in droves over the Fire -- even if it does cost twice as much. So Apple doesn't really have a need to introduce a 7" tablet --- which, BTW, Steve Jobs was on record as opposing prior to his death.
Perhaps the 7" iPad rumors were just a "Red Herring" and Apple has been working on the "iPad Pro" all along!! Wouldn’t that be a "kick in the head" to Microsoft should Apple introduce their "Pro" in November of this year -- about two months prior to the expected arrival of the "Surface Pro"??!!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
People are saying that wasn't real hands on either.
Brilliant (as always IMO) analysis by Gasee, who has become one of my favorite bloggers, whodathunkit?
http://www.mondaynote.com/2012/06/25/microsoft-apostasy-or-head-fake/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks