Can I salvage my Monitor?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Will Bla**, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Will Bla**

Will Bla** Auditioning

I have a high resolution TV monitor that I bought in '88.

It is a JVC model AV 2637S. The monitor has been a great investment. But I am about to upgrade to a widescreen. But I would like to keep the JVC.

My problem is the JVC has developed a tendency to shade every light color in green. Basically the scenes are a wash in the color of lime green (unless the picture is overwhelmed with another color).

I was wondering if my tube has gone south or can I have a technician fix this? It would be a huge saving if I could retain the TV. I have a very large VHS collection most of which were recorded off of cable.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Given that it's a 1988 model and that it's doing this (indicating major internal failure), the JVC is about to, as you say, go south. Not worth fixing.

3. Will Bla**

Will Bla** Auditioning

Thanks.

If I were looking to replace this monitor, what monitor should I go with? What is the equivalent to High resolution in todays technology?

BTW, I already intend to purchase a wide screen CRT. But I want a monitor like I already have for my old video tapes.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

When JVC said "high resolution" regarding this display, it was doing marketing. It's a 480i, standard-def display, pure and simple.

Today, you want to go with genuine "high-definition TV." And there are so many formats from which to choose. So, there are a number of HD-capable, 27-inch direct-view sets that you could use for those purposes.

5. Will Bla**

Will Bla** Auditioning

Thanks Jack[​IMG]