What's new

Can I run this directv/tivo along with my directv-hd box.? (1 Viewer)

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen ads for 99 bucks for a directv/tivo box, and my vcr died so I need something for taping shows. I already have a hdtv directv box, so can I run another directv box on a seperate input? I'd use it for taping and if something decent comes on hd, I can switch over to the hd box.
I know they're coming out with a hdtv/dvr around the corner but I bet it will be out of my price range.
Also can the directv/tivo record ota sinals because directv hasn't added local channels in my area until at least 1st quarter '04. Right now I have a terrestial antenna to pull hd/analog locals. I also have a pvr on the pc for recording local shows only, but it would be nice to do it all,(almost), on the tv instead.

John

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
No. There is no MPEG encoder in the box. It will only record the DirecTV signal. Have you thought about moving so you can at least get another city's networks?
I haven't really looked into changing my "service address" if that's what your implying, I'm too lazy, and this is the comprimise I made when I bought acreage way, way out of town. I do have city water though, but dsl and cable will never make it out here, I'm on direcway.

My only hope is they add locals in 1st qtr '04, and I'm sure they will just be the analog ones. It sounds like I'm trying to do the same thing you are now. I'm not really impressed with the overall hd programming on directv. The only thing that "wowed" me was Band of Brothers in HD. I may just shut down my hd box and use it only for ota hd programming and run the directv/tivo reciever full time for everything else.

John

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My only hope is they add locals in 1st qtr '04, and I'm sure they will just be the analog ones.
Currently, there is no way to get HD locals on DirecTV. Just the other day they did announce that they are going to use satellites that were intended for data are going to be put into TV service. This would give them enough bandwidth to switch all of their locals to HD.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks