What's new

Can I build a REALLY REALLY budget sub? (1 Viewer)

Daniel Mc

Agent
I'm just about to buy a Sony SAWM40, which is supposed to be a good BUDGET sub. I know you guys are laughing since yours are all like $800+. But still, about $200 is my budget for now. Is it possible to use that same money to build a sub that performs better than the Sony?

If it is possible, could you direct me to some really basic sources of information? All the DIY sites (and posts) I've looked at aren't helping me understand things at all, but I may not have seen the right things yet. Thanks for any help you can provide!

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Try getting your hands on one of the older SVS drivers. If I'm not mistaken someone here did that modification on the Sony sub and noticed a good improvement.

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Depends, are you a "decent" woodworker? Do you access to some MDF? For just a little more money, you can significantly improve on the Sony sub. Try the plate amp "special" at Parts Express for $119, and the SV10($99) sub at Audio Concepts (or the SAE 1204{$119}at Stryke Audio.) With a little "sweat equity" these DIY subs should make you very happy. I am sure that the other guys will give you some more suggested approaches.
JP

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Daniel,
For $200? Well, I'd say for $300 you could blow away the Sony (or almost any other sub under $1K). One thing you might want to look at is the Parts Express 120W plate amp for $99 and one of their less expensive Dayton 12" drivers for $29. This along with about $10-$20 worth of MDF and about $5 worth of 3" PVC tubing for a port and I think you could beat that Sony sub.
That particular driver isn't as popular as Dayton's DVC 12" model (which is $119), but I'll bet it's pretty comparable to the driver in the Sony.
If you'd like, I'll run some simulations with that driver.
Brian

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
Apex Jr. Amp: $90
Driver: $100-120
3 Sheets MDF: $15
Glue: $5
PVC Pipe/Misc: $5

$200? No. $215? Yes.

I would not use the $20 PE woofers. They're OK in a pinch, but not enough Xmax for total satisfaction.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
i built the SBS (see link in signature) for around $275 (but I had the power tools needed for the job. But it's a monster sub for the money. I was shocked how much bass it put out in a dedicated HT room (so was the new owner of said sub). :)

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Daniel:

I know just about enough to be dangerous around here, so take this for what it's worth.

I've got a Dayton 12DVC on order Acoustic Visions. $105 plus shipping. I've already got an enclosure (although it's a temporary cabinet for now, my 84 dollar Jensen subwoofer) for it. I'll be dropping the puke 12" driver out of it and slipping in the DVC when it shows up. The amp is already there.

Plans are to eventually build my own cabinet (which I believe will be pretty inexpensive). Seems like you could find an older receiver at a garage sale and use that as your temporary amp until you build your own cabinet and pick yourself up a plate amp.

Like I said, take this for what it's worth....a little knowledge is dangerous!!

Good luck.

Steve

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Old SVS driver $40-50
PE plate amp ~$100 (depending on which one, or you can find a used one to save more).
MDF and other supplies needed $40-50 (depending on finish)

Puts you right at $200 and will walk all over that sony sub.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
If you have a receiver with a filtered subwoofer output (any Dolby Digital or DTS receiver will have this) then you don't even need a plate amp. You'll need some sort of amp to drive the sub. But its possible that you have access to some cheap old stereo receiver/amp or you could beg, borrow or buy one from a pawn shop real cheap. Your main receiver will handle the crossover. You just feed the sub output to one of the inputs on your cheap amp. Then connect the speaker outs from the cheap amp to your homemade passive sub. If you do this and save the $120 you would have spent on the plate amp then you could easily stay under $200. Especially if you buy a used SVS original driver. I'd take that over a Sony SAWM40 any day. Plus you've got a built-in upgrade path for later on - buy a better amp.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Daniel,

A very often forgotten woofer is the old Swan 305 from Madisound. This woofer models out about the same as a Shiva/PE 12"DVC but with less Xmax, and therefore output. In your case the smallish power makes the reduced Xmax not much of an issue, and the driver is only $58. I would have to model it out, but the $30 PE woofer above probably isn't all that bad, albeit with less deep bass than the other options. I'm not sure of the sensitivity of the SVS driver so you would have to see if you would really get that much more with limited power into the SVS or the SWAN 305, but obviously the SVS is a steal

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
With an inexpensive finish a Dayton DVC12" with the PE 300-792 powering it could be done for around $250. Give Kyle at Acoustic Visions a call and see what he can do for you on those items. You may also want to ask about the PSP 4" port kit PE is carring now.

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
Dan
that sony sub can be had for 130.00 all over the web.
to improve the sound ,remove the driver ,seal all the joints with silicone caulk, fill it with about 50% polyfil use self sticking foam weather seal as a speaker gasket around the driver and save yourself 70.00 bucks.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Even with all those modifications there would be absolutely no comparison between a Shiva/DVC12" based DIY sub in a well built enclosure using a proven allignment and the Sony. You would be going to an entirely different league of bass for that little bit of extra cash. You can fully expect a Shiva/DVC12" to be the equal of an SVS with the new ISD driver.

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
DUSTIN
no body said that.
i was merely pointing out an alternative , no it's not the best, but for a 130.00 and very little work, as compared to aDIY sub it is hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks