What's new

Can anyone suggest a comprehensive battery of tests to check out my Marantz sr7200? (1 Viewer)

I'm seeing all sorts of little problems people are having with the new 7200, and I was wondering if you more knowledgeable types could rattle off a bunch of different things to do to test out my new receiver in order to prevent my finding a problem later on when I make changes to my HT setup. The tests don't even have to be specific to the 7200; they can be as simple as "check both analog and digital out for audible hiss at low volume for all sources" ... etc

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,
Check under the "S&V tests the Maranz SR7200" topic.
It already 12 pages long, but specifically on page 9 you'll find a lot of useful information regarding tests that you can do to your unit.
Rgds.
crazy.gif

------------------

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Regarding that thread's page 9.
When you "listening" for background noise or "hiss",besure that you don't turn up the receiver's volume all the way,and stick your ears against the tweeter.[main speakers]
At that level and proximity,all components will give some sort of noise through the speakers.
All your observations should place you at your normal listening position.Having said that however,the surrounds shouldn't eminate any noise[even very faint one],when your listening mode is set to stereo,or anything less then multy channel.
This might require you walk up to the surround speaker and "listen".
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I agree with Lewis, I had an SR-6200 that I thought had noise issues. I had noise in my surrounds while I was in stereo mode, which is not normal. I also tested with test disks (Sheffield Labs "My Disk") instead of testing with sources paused or checking unused inputs.
------------------
My Website: Link Removed
e-mail me: [email protected]
My DVD Profiler
Paradigm Lover

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Check for:
1) S-video noise
2) Audio hiss/noise at -10dB to +15dB
3) digital audio dropouts when playing CD's on a CD or DVD player using a digital coax or optical cable
I am not aware of any other problems other than the possibility of your receiver having a faulty amp section resulting in less max power. I imagine that this is related to #2 above, or the audio noise.
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 11, 2001 at 10:13 AM]

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
BTW, does anybody know if the latest 7200 are free of the CD dropout thing? That's the only problem I found in mine...
frown.gif

Thanks.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
So Dennis, what CD player are you using and what type of connection? I too experienced CD audio dropouts at the beginning of each track. I was using a Panasonic DVD CV-51 5 disc DVD changer and an optical toslink cable. Each new song had the first 1/2 second or so cut off almost 90% of the time.
I am not aware of Marantz fixing their units so that new ones are trouble free. I wish marantz would speak up about what is going on. I don't care about the Sound & Vision article, I want to know what response Marantz is having with all the customers who have defective units. I have mine in for repair and its taking weeks to fix.
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 11, 2001 at 10:17 AM]

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Chris PC,
I've tried 4: An old Sony XX-YY (can't recall the model #), my diskman, a Sony PS2 and my brother's Aiwa microsystem. In analog mode, no problem. Sound level is lower, but no dropouts at all. When using a digital (optical) input, though, tracks will start 1/2 sec delayed as you say for all of them (except the first Sony shich doesn't have an optical output).
I totally agree with you. It's about time someone inside Marantz tries to listen to one of their 7200s!! I remain a great fan of Marantz, but I just can't believe something like this couldn't be tracked down during tests.
angry.gif

Thanks for any info you can provide on the matter.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I really want to like the Marantz, but the distributor has had it for 3 weeks. I only hope they are hard at work solving ALL of my problems. Unfortunately, if I get it back and feel frustrated, I will return it and look hard at buying an Onkyo 797 or Integra 7.2. Unfortunately for Marantz, I am willing to spend more on an Onkyo if I get better than the Sr 6200 and more features etc. I would consider the 8200 if it was substantially better than the 6200/7200, but I don't think it has what the Onkyo 797 has.

Tom Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
I have a SR-7200. I have no problems. Noise is low {I also tested with test disk (Sheffield Labs "My Disk" track 41) instead of testing with sources paused}, s-video is fine, plays CD's from the panny-RP-91 without delay, has lots of power. It has a S/N 129xxxxxx8xx. I have had it since it first came out and have had no problems.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks