What's new

Can a Presentation Projector Do Good DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jim Noble

Grip
I have the opportunity to purchase (for work, of course) a presentation projector. It occurred to me that perhaps, after work, this projector could do double-duty as a movie machine.

I live in the sticks, so I don't and won't have OTA or cable HD as a source, at least for a while.

Any recommendations for a 480p-capable, 16x9 image generating projector that will pass muster as a "work-related expense" would be much appreciated.

morrisjones

Agent
I had exactly the same thing in mind when my wife and I bought an Optoma 753.
It should be pretty decent. It has DVI input available, as well as component (with the proper cables), S-video and composite. It's an XGA (1024x768) DLP projector that's fairly quiet and pretty bright. It's tiny. And it's been great for presentations.
Yes it's a 4:3 chip, but even letterboxed, the 16:9 picture really shouldn't give up much resolution at HD, and none at 480p.
I found a "plant stand" at Scandinavian Designs that should work okay for a projector perch in the back of my theater room. I can try it out on the opposite wall with all the audio and fanfare.
There are a couple of problems. First, there's a Loewe Aconda 30" set and supporting table blocking that wall. Moving the Loewe is definitely a two-man operation, so it's not something undertaken lightly.
Secondly, my wife and I both love watching TV and movies on the Loewe. My wife in particular loves the pictures on the Loewe and can't get used to the idea of watching TV from a projector.
It's not entirely rational, but it's combined to keep me from effectively testing out the Optoma projector for theater.
If I ever get to that point, I'll let you know.
If the projector thing catches on with my wife once we try it, we might go to some extremes, like building a hole into the wall to recess the Loewe Aconda halfway into the hall behind it, and dropping a screen in front of the Aconda down from the ceiling.
One thing that has occurred to us is that on road trips we can hook up the projector to a laptop and pair of amplified speakers and watch movies on the wall of a hotel room. :)
Mojo

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The disadvantages that people have reported in the past regarding presentation LCD projectors (not all projectors have all of these problems):
1. The color temperature is too high (image too blue) which is most likely due to the color temperature of the lamp.
2. The gray scale is very limited.
3. Blacks are very gray.
4. Unable to get a 16:9 picture without relying on the DVD player's letterbox mode, which in turn sacrifices resolution regardless of the resolution of the projector.
5. Too slow a fade rate (too high a persistence) which causes moving bright spots to have comet trails and moving objects in general to be escessively blurred.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
If possible, a Panasonic 75U is a good choice given your circumstances. What you'll want to do is setup up your home theater and projector mounting so that its really easy to connect and disconnect. Otherwise, a 75U is perfect for use in both of those applications :)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
What about the Dell 3100MP projector? I don't have any experience with it personally, but from it's specs it seems like it would be perfect for work and also from home use. Here is a list of it's specs, lifted from Dell's web site.

- 1050 ANSI lumens
- 3.5 lbs.;small form factor: 8.86 x 6.93 x 2.0 inches
1024 x 768 XGA resolution with auto synch to UXGA (1600 x 1200)
- Integrated zoom lens and keystone correction
- DLPTM (Digital Light Processing) technology
- Supports full range of television and video standards, including NTSC, PAL, SECAM, and HDTV (480p, 480i, 720p and 1080i)
- DVI-I for analog/digital/component and HDTV signal
- Includes carry case and wireless remote control with laser pointer
- Built-in 2 Watt amplifier and speaker
- Includes 2 year limited warranty (90 day limited warranty on lamp)

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
What it all comes down to is cost. The vast majority of JVC's line of projectors (with the current shipping exception of the DLA-G150CL) is made for presentation, not home theater. People still argue that a well set up DLA-G15 throws one of the best pictures available in the under $20k price range.
The Dell 3100MP is actually based on the same Coretronic model as the Optoma EzPro 735, the Lasergraphics Encore X-11, and probably a few others (probably the Viewsonic PJ350, Sharp Notevision PG-M15X, and Boxlight XD-17k). Yes, it's a pretty good home theater in general.
The issue with this kind of discussion is much of it is speculation from our side. We don't know what your preferences are. Do colors matter to you most, or is black level more important? Does screen door bother you, and if so, how much? Are you affected by rainbows, and if so how? And if you are, then what speed colorwheel is the cutoff point? Are you willing to adjust, tweak, and calibrate your projector to get the best picture? What do you plan to feed it with? And, of course, the all important... HOW MUCH CAN YOU SPEND? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks