What's new

Can a DVD recorder change satellite channels? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyM

Auditioning
I've spent almost an hour surfing to find out if a DVD recorder can automatically change a channel on my satellite receiver, but can't find an answer. Here's what I want to do....set up a DVD recorder to record a show at 2:00 a.m. on channel 301. When I went to bed I was watching channel 610 and then I turned off the satellite receiver. Questions: 1. At 2:00 a.m. will the DVD recorder turn on my sat. receiver and change the channel to 301? 2. If I left the sat receiver "on" but it was still tuned to 610, would the DVD recorder change the channel to 301? 3. I assume if I left the channel on 301 before retiring and also left the sat. receiver "on", it would work? Am I correct about 3? I really need to know about questions 1 and 2.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There may be some models I'm not familiar with, but generally the answer to questions 1 and 2 is "no". The answer to question 3 is "yes".

A DVD recorder is no different in this regard than a VCR or any other recording device. Without some direct connection to a receiving unit (satellite, cable, what-have-you) and circuitry designed to contol such a unit, it's stuck recording whatever signal is being fed to it. Some VCRs have such circuitry, and all Tivo units do, but I'm not aware of any DVD recorders that have it (other than the Pioneer combo units with Tivo). Maybe someone else will know of one.

M.

Joel L

Auditioning
surely not, haven't heard or known of any dvd recorder that will switch channels for recording purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks