Wiring Help

EatnCoal

Auditioning
Real Name
Norman

I am trying to hook up my HD Toshiba TV(56hmx96), Bell Expressview Satellite(PVR-9200), LiteOn DVD-Recorder (LVW-5115), Daewoo VCR-Recorder its 10 yrs old(DV-K846N)to a Onkyo 7.1 A/V Home Theatre Surround Sound System(TXSR504).

I am very confused how to start and the instructions are for someone who has obviously dealt with this sort of thing before. We have had it for just over a month and much to our disgruntledness with this system, we are desperate to get it up and working. We do know that the speakers work and we have used the DVD player with the Home Theatre Surround System. For a brief moment I had the PVR on the Home Theatre Surround System and can't remember how I got it on and why I cannot get it back. I get a picture off of the VCR but no sound. I use the Sattelite system on the tv and it works fine but I can't seem to get it on the Theatre Surround System. NOTE: There is a TV Guide system that came with our TV and we only get that it is still downloading but nothing has yet come up for this. I know that when we initiated it the system changes the channel from where you had it. I don't think this affects anything but I thought I would mention it because the company says that they are trying to get this up and working for parts of BC. We are in North Eastern part of BC in Tumbler Ridge. My husband works long and hard and hours and we would love to enjoy this system when he gets home. PLEASE send me if anyone can, an outline as to how to hook up this system and I will be infinitely happy.

My wiring needs to be hooked up to perform;

-Taping TV shows to the PVR

-Transfering home VHS tapes to DVD

-Transfering recorded programs from the PVR to DVD format

-Hopefully the DVD, PVR, and VHS can utilise the speakers.

Wife of the head of the household, Me

PS. We have all the Fibre optic cables, etc.

Thank You in advance.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member

Ok lets start at the beginning and work our way towards the tricker items on your to do list.

Lets start with the Receiver as its obviously the hub for your system. You are going to need a way to send the video from your receiver to the TV so if you look on the back of the Onkyo on the left hand side you'll see an area called COMPONENT VIDEO. In there you'll see a set of 3 Red, Green and Blue RCA plugs labeled IN1, IN2 and IN3 as well as a set for OUT. Run a set of component cables from this OUT to the HD1 component input on your TV and make sure that the TV is tuned to that input.

Assuming you've done this right when you power up the Onkyo and hit the setup button (just below the joy stick) on your remote you should see the On Screen Display appear on the TV. If you don't make sure the TV is in the right input and that the component cables are plugged into the OUT not one of the inputs beside it.

Next lets deal with the DVD player. We're going to run a set of component cables from the DVD player to Component Video 1 which is located near the Output's we used above. You will also need to get the audio from the DVD player to the receiver so lets also run an optical cable from the DVD player to the Optical input #1 on the back of the receiver.

The PVR will go next. Since you've got the HD version and I only have the regular PVR I'm not sure how they differ but I'll assume the PVR has a set of Component video outputs on the back. We're going to run a set from the Bell unit to Component Video 2 on the Onkyo as well as running an optical cable from the PVR to Optical Input #2.

The VCR doesn't have component outputs so we're just going to run a single yellow video cable from its output (make sure its the output not input) to the Composite Video #2. The VCR also lacks a digital output so we're going to use a set of Red and White coloured RCA plugs from the audio left and right channel of the VCR to the Red and White RCA inputs on Video 2 (which should be very close to the yellow plug above).

That's it for connecting gear at the moment. We can address being able to record onto DVD from the VCR and PVR later on once we get these connectivity issues solved.

Now what we need to address is telling the Onkyo what is plugged into what as far as audio and video. To do this we're going to enter into the setup menu for the Onkyo and under Initial Setup 1. Component Video and assign the various component inputs to the devices. Start with DVD and make sure that its pointing to IN1 and Video 1 (the PVR) will be IN2.

Next go to 2. Digital Inputs and assign a) DVD = Optical 1 and Video 1 to be Optical 2.

You can now exit the setup menu. If everything worked properly you should now be able to play a DVD and by pressing the DVD input on the remote (or the front of the Onkyo) you should both hear and see the movie. Pressing Video 1 will get you the PVR and Video 2 will be the VCR.

Let me know how when you get this far and we'll take it to the next step.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
One note before you start: It seems like you have 3 posible sources that you need to connect up.
Your TV should have at least 3 inputs so yo do not need to hook up the video through your receive; go direct into the TV
The less connections; the better unless you own a cable company

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Routing the video through the receiver will mean they won't have to switch inputs on the TV though and the switching on todays receivers is good enough that you'll not notice any negative side effects. Besides depending on how far away the TV is from your sources it might be cheaper to run a single cable to the TV.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Andrew
True but I was thinking of A) Cost of good video cables & B) One more thing to go wrong.
Also a lot of TV sounds so bad why amplify?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
She as a quality TV source from the dish and PVR so it won't sound bad at all...in fact some of the TV shows sound exceptional in PLII. As for cost as I mentioned it depends on how far away the TV is. In my case the TV is about 15 feet away from the gear rack so its far more cost effective to run a single quality component run to the TV and short runs from the PVR, VCR, XBox and DVD player to the Receiver.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PJay