What's new

calling for help :-) (1 Viewer)

john seitz

Stunt Coordinator
Me again -- I'm still on my speaker quest.

As of today my wife has given me a deadline to buy a set of speakers and stay with them. I bought an open box set of Sapphire ST1's from tweeter last-night and they sound pretty good real good in fact. Could use some lower end (no sub for now) but they are still too big for the wife and our 3 cats that love to jump and poke at the speaker drivers. (using a set of Mirage speakers for rear surround)

So the wife wants to just buy some BOSe AM6's or maybe the Am10's - I'm even starting to think its a good idea (the force is strong with her)

I've narrowed my short list to include:

* Velodyne Deco's (great deal at 1 call)

* Polk RM10 kit

* or I have no idea :-0

room size is about 12*17 -- Panasonic sa-xr50

Thanks again in advance,

John

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'd buy :

three pairs of Klipsch RSX-5's or Paradigm Cinema 90's for a satellite set, then buy a SVS PB10 for a subwoofer. (Its basically what I'm planning on buying to go with my future xr-50 amp ;) )

Or you could check-out a HSU ventriloquist set-up. But I'd personally go Klipsch/Paradigm because I've heard them and like them.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
John,

As much as I do not like bose BUT if your set up is going to be in a living room it might be easier to compromise and purchase the (cough) bose.

Reason 1: Your wife will be happy
Reason 2: Your wife will be happy
Reason 3: Your wife will be happy

Later on as you and her become more knowledgable about systems you can approach the subject again.

take the time in setting up the system properly and if you have any questions (home theater spot . com) has a good bose section. Also bose will assist you in optimizing the set up.

Good Luck
Scott

john seitz

Stunt Coordinator
good advise from each of you :)

yesturday I stopped by a Compusa that had some speakers left and saw the hsu ventriloquist set. price seemed too cheap at $129 for the set (no sub). but it seemed that bose's cubes were built better as the hsu set had no tweeter not even in the center. I must say that the 4x6 set in the center loooked cool. but all paper and not much movement?

I think I'll look at the klipsch's... but bose might win an other sucker... :)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Scott... I am suprised at you .... ;)

John ... That Velo system for $699 is FANTASTIC ... and onecall is reputable ... Grab it, your bride will like the look, and you will like the sound.

PLUS ... So you want to answer "Bose" or Velodyne when people ask what your speakers are ?

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Craig,
I know, I know but if Johns wife is happy with the looks and fit into the decor she will achieve with Bose it is somewhat easier to let nature take its course and wait for the next upgrade to come around.

Sorry for the Bose recommendation but John please be sure she will be astatically happy with what ever speakers you get.

john seitz

Stunt Coordinator
hmmm isn't Bose Mountain in MA?

:)

LOL

yeah the deco was even better yesturday at $499.97 oh well you snooze you loose :-(

my only concern with the deco was two fold the low 4ohm drivers and my digital panny? and are they not effiecnt enogh for a digital amp?

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Your Panny will do just fine with the Velos... and they use the same type of drivers you get in a highend system.

We have 4 theater rooms here ... Just tell your wife you will NEVER let me NEAR your house if she lets you go for the Velo system.... ;)

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Yes the Bose mountian is in Framingham about 20 miles from me.

I do not push bose at all. I am not picking on all women so please do not thing this is sexist. for the most part audio and video to women is like men trying to understand why one pair of black shoes is not enough.

So bose though not my favorite can be a choice to provide a surround sound experience while not be overly instrusive to the decor.

john seitz

Stunt Coordinator
i'm in CT :) was just adding to some banter :)

I think I'll get the am6 set - it can't sound that bad can it?

thanks again

John

ScottCarr

Second Unit
have you looked at Cambridge sound?

Either way check of ebay you could save a couple hundred. AM10 is running about 700

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Ummm, the Bose cubes are not much smaller than MANY of the other systems available, such as small Klipsch, Paradign, Velodyne sats.

Am I the only one who thinks that the Bose cubes look like carp? They are obviously cheap plastic, and the dual cube design looks very choppy.

These look better:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=773

You can get them in that finish or silver. They, do not look cheap.

Nhan_H

Second Unit

Actually, Kenneth, I think that you may be the ONLY one who thinks that. I certainly do not see the fish resemblance :D

John, for crying out loud, man. Please don't get the blose ;-)

You might want to look at Seth's signature line for suggestions on small speakers. Definitely hop on the Velodynes if you can still get them. Not sure why you would think the Hsus would be inferior to the bose (build-wise).

You can also check the Rocket Tykes out ($299 b-stock): http://www.av123.com/products_produc...k&product=38.1

john seitz

Stunt Coordinator
Nhan - have you seen the HSu V speaker set? I though the same thing untill I saw them. the speakers used looked and felt like the ones in my dads first a 1960 something american :) no movement and the case looked cheap?

Rest - I have found onlyy two reviews on the velodyne deco's all good but... with that said I can't find anyone here that uses them. at least with the AM10 or am15 people love em or hate em :)

also with they sound more "full" then my current older Mirage Sats? or maybe I am going a little tone deaf - casue both me and the wife can't hear dialog at all anymore :) LOL well some of the time but its really flat if we do hear it. And thats when the center is cranked up to +10

john

Nhan_H

Second Unit
John,

Yes, I actually have seen the Hsu. Did not inspect them very closely, but I've seen enough of Bose to know that the Hsu's contruction is just as good, if not better. The cost of the Hsu is only $300, vs. bose's $1000+ (or so).

You should only take reviews with a grain of salt (as well as other people's advice). Is there not a Velodyne dealer near you that you could take a listen to the Deccos? If the bose sound better and look $300-$500 better to you, then by all means that what you should go with. Be sure to take the wife along, as she'll be critical in the decision-making process. She might be in for some eye-opening experiences if she can be shown the differences in sound quality/decorative choices.

If you can, demo both system in your own home with your favorite CDs/Movies. Most likely the bose won't sound quite as good in your own home, as it would in the "bose room" :D

john seitz

Stunt Coordinator
nope no dealers that sell the deco - CC has a demo that doesn't work and will sell it to me for $950 LOL (it does work but they will not set it up)

again thanks and keep the sugestions coming :)

john seitz

Stunt Coordinator
update -- i bought the deco setup for a good deal imho $576 shipped.

hopfully I made the correct choice :-/

john

i'll let you all know what happens next

Nhan_H

Second Unit
That's nice to hear, john. I wouldn't imagine they would be that difficult to drive (even at the rated 4 ohms). The Velodyne site mentions this:

"4 ohm nominal (compatible with 4/6/8 ohm receivers and amplifiers)."

I wouldn't imagine Velodyne would make these little speakers that difficult to drive, considering the target audience (those who don't want or need really beefy receivers/amps).

You'll have to play with the Panny unit, since it's been known to shut off if set to a certain setting. I forgot what the specific setting was, but if you switch it to a different mode, then it should not have problems shutting down.

I had it set one way for my Rockets (550s/200/250s) and when using the same setup for some HTD small bookshelves, the unit was shut off. I made the change in the menu and the HTDs played fine ever since.

BTW, the Rocket center is a 45 lb beast rated at 4 ohms/91 dB. As I recall, the Panny receiver had trouble with some Polks and Maggies. The Maggies are notorious for needed really beefy amps to drive.

Anyways, good luck and have fun with your new purchase. Do let us know how it goes.

john seitz

Stunt Coordinator
UPDATE...

good afternoon all. Well the Deco's came in and I love them! Sound is crisp but not to harsh. Vocals are great (is a little week on some male voices but not bad). And well the Sub is all Velodyne find it odd that it is a sealed sub though - i figured with 600 wats rms it would have some sort of port. but it can pound when needed. And the sats are pretty small a little odd looking but I think unique is a better world.

now for the bad...

it appears that after about 20-30 minutes my receiver shuts down :-( The sales person suggested that I use better wire like 12g and make sure no fraying has occurred. But alas she keeps shutting down. The front states high temperature (something like that).

Any other ideas or suggestions before my wife buys some bose setup?

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks