What's new

Calibration Time... (1 Viewer)

Brett Sw

Agent
I'm torn...Just rounded the corner of 100 hours on the new Toshiba 51H83. Now I've never attempted to calibrate an RPTV. What are the opinions out there on the best place to spend my money...Avia, DVE or pay 25 bucks to get into the "Toshiba Tweaks" section of hometheaterspot.com???

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Test discs can be had for $20 or less ... and will help. Physical tweaks can yield better results ... but you still have to do the disc thing.

The Keohihdtv site has plenty of tweaks that you don't have to pay for.

regards

Brett Sw

Agent
Thanks Michael...Excuse my ignorance, but will the discs help with the PQ from the satellite???
That's my main focus right now since I'm having the annual Superbrawl party at my house this year.

I have Dishnetwork and us an S-Video directly to the RPTV. I probably have what you guys call "Upconversion Softness", but am trying to get the PQ as good as possible since I financially won't be able to go HD until later in the year.

Also...I'm planning on running a dedicated line of coax from the dish to the sat reciever (ie...removing any and all splices and splitters). Would a signal amp do some good here???

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

About the only thing that would help with satellite is an infusion of 100 billion dollars to increase the bandwidth and reduce the compression of the programs.

A tv that is properly calibrated with a test disc will yield some benefits on other sources ... but because cable/satellite is rather variable from program to program ... improvements can be noticeable or invisible.

Some improvements are better than no improvements at all.

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks