What's new

calibration levels (1 Viewer)

Kym O

Auditioning
Real Name
Kym Orr
I have a question:

If I am running my DVD player through a separate DD/DTS decoder by way of digital coax then sending it out to my receiver through the 5.1 analog inputs, which test tones do i use to calibrate? I'm doing this because I think my stand alone decoder sounds better than the one in my receiver.

How should I set the levels for each?

Any input would be appreciated.

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
Kym, I would think that the level adjustments should be the resposibility of the receiver. Since the analog inputs are being fed a signal that has been fully processed in the digital domain by the decoder, no additional treatment is necessary. So, just as the signal from your CD, tape, Video soure, etc., is fed into your receiver at a fixed level, I can't see treating the DVD input any differently. Plus, the receiver's preamp is matched to the amp sections parameters. It may well be possible to upset that balance by feeding it too strong a signal from the decoder. That is something you want to check anyway, the manual will tell you the max input level of the 5.1 jacks, and the decoder info will give it's output range. Make sure to send as strong a signal as resonable to reduce noise, but don't over do it or the receiver will distress.

Kym O

Auditioning
Real Name
Kym Orr
Mark, thanks for the response. But here's the dilemma:

My receiver (in DVD 7.1 channel mode, using the analog inputs) will not emit any test tones for me to calibrate speaker levels. So, if I use the decoder's test tones what should I set the receiver's level at, 0 dB?

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
Kym, I'm missing something here. How can a 5.1 decoder into an analog 5.1 input generate 7.1 format test tones?
Regardless, I still feel your best approach is to use the receivers DD/DTS 5.1 calabration. Any adjustments to other speakers you may have in addition can easily be made by ear, and far less applicable and critical than the main 5.1 reference levels. Does your unit have a mic to self adjust, or do you use an SPL meter?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks