What's new

Auto levels or manual levels? Which is better? (1 Viewer)

Legion

Agent
Real Name
Scott
Good afternoon all.
Can I get some advice and help on getting the best sound with my onkyo 7805 hts.

I'm finding that no matter what I do I have to turn it up to at least 50 so here Voices but then the over sound is massive.

I have tried auto calibration but then everything is too quiet.
So I go to manually do it and it's all over the shop.

Is this a trial and error thing or has anyone got a perfect balance up their sleeve?

Cheers in advance.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I'll generally do auto-calibration to start, but then tweak it manually. Typically, I will increase the center channel to my liking.
While achieving equal volume across all channels may technically be correct, I find that in rooms that aren't dedicated to HT use (e.g., bedrooms, family rooms) the effects sounds are too booming/disturbing to others.

Basically, if you find yourself tweaking the volume while watching to lower effects but increases vocals, you might as well just increase the center channel once to better accommodate how you watch.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah...

This is a common complaint. In virtually all situations you want the center increased 2-4dB and the surrounds reduced 2-4dB. You might even find you want to adjust them more than that. Also, if soundtracks just tend to be too dynamic overall, there's usually something like a "Midnight Mode" to tame them down.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
With the Dolby digital processor I use, every film format is a little different from the others. When I run a mono film, it's set on 5.0. Dolby A is 5.5, SR is 5.0, and SRD, DTS and SDDS are somewhere between 4 and 5 on the processor. Most all of the BD's and streaming is on level 7.0. There can also be a difference between movies even on the same streaming service. Good news is that I push the correct button for the desired Format and the automation switches to the correct format and the levels are for the most part, pre-set.

radiorich

Auditioning
Real Name
rich
I'll generally do auto-calibration to start, but then tweak it manually. Typically, I will increase the center channel to my liking.
While achieving equal volume across all channels may technically be correct, I find that in rooms that aren't dedicated to HT use (e.g., bedrooms, family rooms) the effects sounds are too booming/disturbing to others.

Basically, if you find yourself tweaking the volume while watching to lower effects but increases vocals, you might as well just increase the center channel once to better accommodate how you watch.
Same here I also find most of the time the auto set up that the center channel is on the weak side !

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
Manual calibration I prefer. Use a spl meter so each speaker set at the same level.
Tape measure from speaker to ear position and set distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks