What's new
World Wide Stereo

Calibration help, please! (1 Viewer)

Samuel_Fred

Stunt Coordinator
I've been having trouble properly calibrating my Toshiba 46LX177 LCD.

I'm using the Combo disc version of Joe Kane's DVE's High Definition disc. Contrast and brightness are no problem. When I use the HD side of the disc in my HDDVD player to calibrate colors I can get the 75% Bars, Grey Ref screen to perfectly match up reds, blues, and greens by making color palette adjustments in the "ColorMaster Pro" feature of the Toshiba, tweaking reds, greens, blues, yellow, magentas, and cyans.

And it looks great.

Now, when I pop in the SD DVD side of the disc into my HTPC and load it using Zoom Player (with colors set to default neutral) to calibrate, I use the same 75% Bars, Grey Ref screen and have to tweak the color palette again to get it looking right.

The problem is: the results LOOk completely different! That is, when I stick in the exact same SD DVD into the HD DVD player and the HTPC the HD DVD player version looks WAY more rich and reds more saturated. If I eyeball the difference I have to boost the reds off the scale for the HTPC input and therefore throw off the careful calibration.

You see (I hope)? In order for the two different inputs to show a similarly calibrated image (color-wise) the HTPC input has to be calibrated INCORRECTLY (according to the 75% Bars, Grey Reference screen). I don't get it. Sure, one is being calibrated with an HD source, the other with an SD source, but that shouldn't show such a drastic difference, should it?

728x90

Samuel_Fred

Stunt Coordinator

No. I've tested it with all kinds of different other settings on and off just to be sure.

I just don't get it. How can an identical test pattern show completely different results?

Again, if it's a matter of HD vs SD then why would these two patterns produce such divergent results. That gives me an idea! I'll test the SD pattern on the HD DVD player and see what it looks like.

Samuel_Fred

Stunt Coordinator
Makes no difference. SD side of DVE Calibration disc looks the same on the HD DVD player. Something's awry with my HTPC or the HDMI input I'm using for that source.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

What makes you think the CMS in the Toshiba TV actually works correctly? It doesn't work on the Sonys ... the Pioneers ... the Mits ... the NECs ... the BenQ ... the Sharps ... the Samsungs ... LGs ...

Regards

Samuel_Fred

Stunt Coordinator

So what do I do?

Actually, does it really matter? I'm looking at a test signal that should be displayed in the same way and is being calibrated based on its own background reference. Forget the color controls. How can a test signal through blue, red, green filters differ from one source to the other when a DVD image does not? Just doesn't make sense.

chuckg

Supporting Actor

This post is not very helpful...the guy wants to know why, after calibrating two inputs to his TV, they look different. I'd be interested in a thoughtful, educational explanation of what has gone wrong, too.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
my guess it is your HTPC. There is no earthly purpose for it in a true HT (unless you are just "geeky ;-) )

HTPC create a huge number of variables in the imaging change and are generally a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks