What's new

Calibrating Contrast (1 Viewer)

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
I'm having trouble calibrating contrast with the THX Optimizer and Avia. I can turn the contrast all the way up to 100 and I can still see the white boxes in the THX Optimizer and the white bars with the Avia disk. My TV is a 40 inch Samsung LCD. I haven't noticed any color change when I make the adjustment which I've heard to look for so thought I'd ask for any other advice on how or where to set it. It's set at 85 right now but only because that seems to be a general setting of what other displays are set at. Thanks,

William

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
WilliamHg said:
I'm having trouble calibrating contrast with the THX Optimizer and Avia. I can turn the contrast all the way up to 100 and I can still see the white boxes in the THX Optimizer and the white bars with the Avia disk. My TV is a 40 inch Samsung LCD. I haven't noticed any color change when I make the adjustment which I've heard to look for so thought I'd ask for any other advice on how or where to set it. It's set at 85 right now but only because that seems to be a general setting of what other displays are set at. Thanks,

William
http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/portfolio/setting-the-contrast-control-2/

try this link. there is also info about brightness, color and etc etc.

Jacob

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jacob...that's good stuff. Will take a closer look at it too. I checked the default setting for movie mode and it's set to 95 which seems kind of high compared to the old CRT displays but then we're talking LCDs so things are different I guess. I don't understand why higher contrast levels are more common place now days with the new displays than with the old CRT...other than damage from high contrast settings to CRTs contrast is contrast isn't it? Maybe the images don't get that distorted or blown out look with LCDs as with CRTs...dunno....just the new technology I guess...sorry just thinking out loud. Thanks for the link.

William

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
WilliamHg said:
Thanks Jacob...that's good stuff. Will take a closer look at it too. I checked the default setting for movie mode and it's set to 95 which seems kind of high compared to the old CRT displays but then we're talking LCDs so things are different I guess. I don't understand why higher contrast levels are more common place now days with the new displays than with the old CRT...other than damage from high contrast settings to CRTs contrast is contrast isn't it? Maybe the images don't get that distorted or blown out look with LCDs as with CRTs...dunno....just the new technology I guess...sorry just thinking out loud. Thanks for the link.

William
no problem.
I always had issues with the lcd because I could never get the brightness to work right. I now have a plasma. it works great with brightness.

Jacob

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
on Samsung displays, you will not get the boxes to clip white. However they will discolor.

Set the contrast at 85.

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. Do you find your picture darker after calibrating your display compared to the preset cinema/movie mode? Mine is and I'm ok with that but just making sure if that's normal. Thanks.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
update, on the newer / high end Samsungs, set the contrast at 95, then adjust the backlight for light output preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks