What's new

Calculating size based on view distance? (1 Viewer)

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
I am trying to figure out what size widescreen TV to buy. I know I have seen some standard suggestions here, but in searching for them I couldn’t find them. There were basically some ratios that said if your view distance is X amount of feet, buy this size widescreen or this size 4x3. I also saw a weblink on one forum that had you punch in the screen size of your 16x9 or 4x3 TV and it calculated a 16x9 wide screen = a blank size 4x3 and visa versa. Does anybody know how to calculate that? I currently own a 32in 4x3 and don’t want to have a smaller 4x3 image when I go to widescreen. My current view distance is 10-12 feet if that helps. Thanks, Lowell.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The rule of thumb to start with is view distance = 2x screen diagonal for a 16:9 screen. Then just go to the store and see for yourself on a variety of sources since people have differing preferences.

How to calculate - just remember Pythagorean theorem from geometry class, diagonal ^2 = width ^2 x height ^2. And triangles inscribed in sets with the same aspect ratio are "similar"; if you expand one dimension the other dimensions will expand at the same ratio. For 4:3 TVs, you have 4 width x 3 height and 5 diagonal. For 16:9 TVs, 16 width, 9 height, 18.36 diagonal.

To find equivalent 4:3 on a 16:9, equalize the height. To find the 16:9 image on a 4:3, equalize the width.

E.g. you have 32" 4:3. 32/5 * 3 = 19.2" screen height. 19.2/9 * 18.36 = 39.17", which is the diagonal measurement on a 16:9 you'd need to have the same size 4:3 image.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks