What's new

Cables & Wires (1 Viewer)

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to buy some good cables and wires for my TV and electronics, but I have no idea what I need. I just got digital cable, too. I'm looking for RCA cables to go from my digital cable to my stereo. It's not a high-end stereo, just an Aiwa, so it only has RCA inputs. Would I need to change the cable from my digital cable box to my TV? It doesn't have any inputs other than the coaxial. Any help would be appreicated.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Steve.
You can get some good-quality cables from places like Radio Shack and any store that carries Acoustic Research (AR) brand.
I only suggest the really good places (like www.bettercables.com or www.wickedcables.com) when you get to larger than a 50" TV, go Progressive/HD, or have a long run.
Since your TV only has coaxial inputs (for the RF signal) you are limited, but this means you only have to buy these cables:
- CATV Coax from DigitalCable box to the TV. (Likely you already have this.)
- L/R audio cables from the L/R audio output of the cable box to the L/R inputs on the Aiwa stereo. (Pick some un-used input)
When you want to enjoy better sound, just turn down the TV and fire up the receiver. You can use the remote for the cable box to control the channel-switching.
Good Luck.

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. :) Are there any specific types of audio cables I'd need? Monster Cables? I know there's different cables for different things.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Monster Cable is a brand name, they make many different kinds of cables. For your application, I would recommend going down to your nearest Radio Shack and picking up their Gold Series RCA interconnects for your audio connections. If you don't have the coax video cable, get one of those too. These are fairly cheap (the RCA cables are about $10 depending on length), and they're pretty well built, and with your system you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference with anything more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks