What's new

Buymusic.com, I advise caution before buying their! (1 Viewer)

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
I saw an advertisement on TV last night for Buymusic.com so I thought I would check it out. I found an album I wanted so I purchased it and the was taken to a download page. Instead of downloading the album you have to download each song which is a pain.

Anyway when I tried to download the first song it played in my browser instead. So I fixed the settings so it would go to media player instead. Then you are supposed to use the transfer feature in media player to transfer each song to your harddrive, again a major pain in the you know what!

However when I went to go and download again their system shows I downloaded every song already! I had downloaded nothing yet!!! Thats one huge flaw/bug in their system!

I have e-mailed their customer service but have not got a response back.

It's apparent to me that their system is extremely flawed and I would advise caution to any who would purchase there.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget it's not Mac Compatible. :D Here's what safari gets you without changing your identifier.

http://www.buymusic.com/ierequired.htm

Thank you for visiting BuyMusic.com.

In order to take full advantage of BuyMusic.com's offerings you must be on a Windows Operating System using Internet Explorer version 5.0 or higher.

The original page loads really fast in Safari fully in less than .5 secs and you get a glimpse before it kicks you out to the above link.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
They also have a statement buried in the contract that they will use your name, IP address and info and sell it to outside vendors. For Windows users, be patient. iTunes Music Service is coming your way soon. You'll be amazed at how easy it is to order, preview and download songs. And the price is generally better then BuyMusic. Those .79 songs? Far and few between. Also you must use Internet Explorer to even get into the store.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
And your music downloads have their own DRM license so you can enjoy your music whether or not your logged on to the internet.
That's an interesting "benefit". I was just complaining the other day about how all of my LPs, tapes, and CDs lack DRM, and thus work only when connected to the Internet. ;)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I believe that would make this site's offerings incompatible not just with Macs, but with the already-shipping Windows version of the iPod.
That is true, but I was really just referring to the fact they won't even let you see the site with a Mac or Mozilla.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
That is true, but I was really just referring to the fact they won't even let you see the site with a Mac or Mozilla.
And of course, the reverse is true for the Apple music site, as covered in the big long thread about the iTunes store etc. They won't let you view it with a PC as you need a Mac account to access it.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Some interesting price comparisons:

Clay Aiken 2 song EP: BuyMusic price is $9.49/ iTMS price is $1.98

Mya 2 song EP : BuyMusic price is $9.98/ iTMS price is $1.98

Avril Lavigne's 5 song EP on BuyMusic is $9.95/ iTMS price is $4.95

And you really don't own the recordings.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
And of course, the reverse is true for the Apple music site, as covered in the big long thread about the iTunes store etc. They won't let you view it with a PC as you need a Mac account to access it.
But the iTMS is accessed by an application. BuyMusic is accessed by a web browser, so cross compatibility shouldn't be an issue. The use of WMA and hooks into Windows (what a shock) prevent them from doing so.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Ya know, there was a time when almost everyone knew how to turn on a radio.

I only dimly understand half of what's being said about the technologies here, but the economics behind these downloaded music businesses seem Alice-in-Wonderlandish.

Between Bill Gates and Big Music, I think I'll haul out a few 33 1/3s today for some relief

:frowning:

James Zubb

Stunt Coordinator
Peter where are you getting these prices from? All the tracks on buymusic are $0.99 so the 2 song ep are $1.98 etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks