What's new

Buying in 3 days. Final choice! Gimme Help! (1 Viewer)

Peter_James

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I have decided. IT's either the Pioneer VSX-811S or the Panasonic SAHE 100S.

Here's where Im at right now.
__________________________________________________ _
Pioneer Pros: Pre-Outs, No speaker Clips-All Posts, LEARNING REMOTE!!!!

Pioneer Cons: Power? Power Quality? Build Quality?

Panasonic Pros: Power! Power Quality! Lower Price.

Panasonic Cons: NO LEARNING REMOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(I have no $$ for a Pronto or anything right now.)
Please let me know what you think. I can't demo either of these, so Internet is my only research tool. Would love to hear from people who have Demo'd BOTH! That would be great!

P.J.

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
I can't speak for the Pioneer, but I did have an older Technics (Panasonic's higher end) Receiver before I just upgraded. It was actually a great receiver for it's price. The only gripes I had with it was that the bass output was poor, the sound wasnt as full and the thing got hotter than my stove. Other than that, it served it's purpose well for a few years. Looking at features between the two, I would probably recommend the Pioneer. As for performance, I haven't heard either of these exact models so perhpas someone else can shed some light!

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Hi Peter,

What speakers are you running? This will help decide whether power is going to make much difference. I'd be highly surprised if any difference in power between these receivers will be noticeable.

As for the binding posts on the pioneer - what's the problem?? Binding posts IMO are far superior to clips.

As for the remote not being learning on the Pana, you could get an OFA-8811 or a similar RadioShack one.

They're good remotes (IMO) and can be programmed (with a bit of effort) via the PC if you build a JP1 connector cable.

I'd personally go for the Pioneer. It's built fairly solidly, and any question of power is taken care of by the pre-outs. Note that in the future, if you decide to go Panasonic and the power doesn't live up to your expectation, it's new receiver time. With the pioneer, you can just get an extra amp. (Even just for the fronts)

Last question: Which one LOOKS the best to you, and which one is EASIER to use? That's the one I'd go for in the end.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I'd just choose the Pioneer based on the availability of preouts. This will give you an upgrade route in the future to add outboard amplification for better sound. Build quality wise they are both in the same league.

AaronJB

Second Unit
I am very pleased with my Panasonic SAHE100 and I think it's a terrific reciever for the money...but the Pioneer is still probably a better choice for a bit more $.

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
Whatever you get let us know how it performed. I am going to purchase a new receiver soon and I am curious

Phil Mays

Second Unit
For what it's worth...Pioneer seems to overstate their power
by about 18% and Panasonic by about 22%. I wish some legislation would be passed to correct this as it seems all companies overstate power, with the exception of Harman Kardon. (No I do not have an HK):)

Peter_James

Stunt Coordinator
The HK125 is less than the 811S on Etronics.com. I would like to have that.....BUT, it's 5.1....and part of me upgrading was to get 6.1. Other than that, the HK would be on my list....especially at that price ($274).

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
Same situation, but let me tell you I think 6.1 is a gimmick at this point. How many discrete dvd's are out right know. I am thinking of going with power and sound over 6.1 at this point. I also dont think the 125 can out power the 811 maybe Im wrong. Be smart Peter get the Vr-6060. It seems to be the best deal out there same unit as 6070 just minus a few extras, preamp out, thx modes. It also has 6.1 if thats your concern. I can understand where your coming from.

Peter_James

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Like you said, the 6060 has no pre-outs...which I kinda want. Plus it's $50 more. That's a consideration for me at this point. Finally, I know this is kinda dumb...but I want a Silver Receiver. All my other components are silver (where I live that's what's popular). My TV, Digital Cable, VCR and DVD...All silver....so that's why i had it between the Pioneer and the Panasonic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.