What's new

buying Asian release DVD's for use here in US? (1 Viewer)

Chris_Wood

Auditioning
on ebay:
Band of Brothers set (no tin), but Asian release.
- packaging is the same as the US version, with the addition of a little Chinese on the front
- reported to play fine in Region 1 dvd players

Safe to buy, or should I avoid this and keep looking?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
It is probably safe enough. But most Asian release that are claimed to play on R1 DVDs are bootlegs.

They will run. But often they have very poor transfers. And even if the transfers are OK, they are still (likely) bootlegs.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Chris... if a DVD is from Hong Kong AND it is Region 0 (All region), 99.9999999999% of the time it is a bootleg.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Aren't all those Universe Laser & Media Asia Jackie Chan DVDs Region 0 discs from Hong Kong?

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
Chris... if a DVD is from Hong Kong AND it is Region 0 (All region), 99.9999999999% of the time it is a bootleg.
not always I have bougth some DVDs from dddhouse they are legal DVDs. the nice people in HK just don't care about region coding as much as the US studios.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
......Go here and look around a little. Everything sold in this store is 100% legit and I'd say at least 75%-80% of the titles are coded Region 0. Unfortunately, because some of the more famous bootlegs like the Star Wars Five-Star Editions, Studio Ghibli Collection and the Criterion Salo were manufactured in Hong Kong, everyone assumes that all Hong Kong DVDs are bootlegs.

Jeff

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
That's why I didn't say 100%. ;)

But seriously... there is more seeds than watermelon in the HK DVD market.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Of course there are legitimate DVD manufacturers in HK. Just as its possible to buy legitimate Microsoft products in certain parts of Asia (to stay away from singling out one country).

However, factually SE Asia and China produce a large number of bootleg products of every type. And in some markets, a large percentage of bootleg to legitimate. I lived in SE Asia for two years and spent another 5+ working through the Asia/Pacific region. It is very easy to tell the rip-offs from the legitimate products, the price being the first clue.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
To refine what Rob said

If it's a product that originates in the US, or is anime that is Region 0, English and Chinese subs it's a bootleg 98% of the time

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks