What's new

Buying a new suit (new primary suit) what color? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
I have an older ('93) green-grayish double breasted, but I've (ahem) expanded a bit, and it's pushing sausage casing style now, according to my wife. ;) So I'm getting a new one. I'm definitely getting single breasted this time (more versatile) and I'm debating gray/charcoal grey/navy. This will be my first "good" suit. I'm starting to hit the job market (software/IT in northern california, wish me luck!) and wondering what you guys think.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When I was interviewing last summer I got both a light grey suit and a dark navy / black suit. Both colors were appropriate for my interviews. I think you'd be good with either one.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
For interviews, I'd go with dark navy, but not black. Black is for social functions and funerals... but that's my opinion.

Mike D.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
There was recently a long thread about this. Personally I wear brown very well so I'd go with browm, but you're not me. You can't go wrong with charcoal. I recommend Jos. A. Bank, they have good stuff at reasonable prices.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Black is for social functions and funerals
I considered that, but I've seen other people interview in black suits. It's also good (I think) for presentations. But you're right, black is mostly associated with formal parties and funerals. :)

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
I haven't interviewed in a while but back in the day you NEVER wore a brown suit to an interview. Dark gray is timeless, as is a nice navy blue suit.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Black is for social functions and funerals
I think that the days of wearing a black suit to a funeral are pretty much gone. As long as it's not a bright color, you're ok.

Black is the best because it is multi-functional...Weddings, Funerals, Jobs, Social events, etc.

Also, Black works better than say something like brown.

Example, I wear a black suit all the time and no one has said a word to me. My brother has this lighter colored jacket and whenever he wears it, people always say something like "Hey, it's the brown suit again!" They just seem to remember stuff like that and not so much the black.

IMO

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Since you are in I.T. you may want to consider NAVY, since BLUE is the old IBM (big blue) colors and defacto uniform. If your interviewer has any background w IBM it would be well recived, at least subliminally.

HOWEVER, if you are applying at APPLE you may want to go grey. hehe.

If you read any professional books, they always recommend your first suit to be navy, then dark grey, then light grey, then a fasionable brown or other color, then start over again.

If you are overweight, you should consider vertical pinstripes, they are slimming.

Last, but not least, SPEND THE MONEY for a decent suit. If you arent spending at least $400 (and it is a sale item at that!) then it is not worth getting.

Cheap suits are obvious and make anyone look bad.

One quick way of checking the quality of a suit is to hold the trousers up so you are only looking through one layer of fabric (often in the seat). Look at a light source or a brighter area of the store. If you can see through it fairly easy then it is a poor material and will wear out or tear early.

Good luck!

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Almost forgot:

Don't go black. Every lint in the world will show.

Get 100% wool. In Norcal it works well for hot and cold days.

A couple of good stores to consider:

Jos A Banks
Mens Wearhouse

DO NOT GET IT AT A DEPARTMENT STORE!! Though there are some good ones there, at least at these two stores I know you wont get 'hozed'.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If you have only one suit, it should be navy or dark (charcoal) gray. 100% wool will give the best look by far and will likely wear the best as well. It will certainly be the most comfortable in any climate. If you have only one suit, get a medium-weight for the most versatility.

Get a plain suit. Don’t consider pinstripes, glen plaids or herringbones if you only have one suit. People will remember the pattern and pretty soon know that you have only one. No one will know how many you have if it’s a plain, dark suit.

Use different shirts and ties to vary your look.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
DO NOT GET IT AT A DEPARTMENT STORE!! Though there are some good ones there, at least at these two stores I know you wont get 'hozed'.
I've had very good experience with suits from Macy's and would recommend them highly. I wouldn't necessarily go to Sears for a suit, but Macy's has a great Men's store, as does Lord & Taylor (though they tend to be extremely conservative). I don't have any, but I'm sure that Nordstrom sells fine suits as well. Why such a strong message against department store suits?

Also, Brooks Brothers is a good place to look, though their stuff tends to be very conservative.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
To MarkHastings
re: assumption that he is overweight:

"...I've (ahem) expanded a bit, and it's pushing sausage casing style now,"

Any more questions, Master of the Obvious?
(friendly sarcasm)

To Philip Hamm
re: Department Stores

I agree that some dept stores are adequate or better, but it can be hit or miss. Even in Macy's. They can put the $199 suits in the same place as the $1000 suits. It is good to shop there if you know what to look for, bad if you don't.

At the men's stores I mentioned nearly all suits are of reasonable quality, and, more important, the salespeople are usually very helpful (and tasteful). I bet he needs at least one tie also, and maybe a shirt. I'm just more comfortable with the consistiency of men's store quality in this case. The chances are lower that he'll get hozed there.

I also agree with Lew Crippen that if this is to be your ONLY suit and you will be wearing it fairly frequently, then go with plain, no patterns or stripes. Us colored shirts and ties to create variety.

And WHATEVER you do, DON'T put a hankey in your suit pocket!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Eric,

That's why I suggested getting a black suit...

To quote a commedian: "I'm wearing all black now because I'm gaining weight"

Black hides all :D

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Your first suit should be a 100% wool, two button, single breasted, dark gray one. Your second suit should be the same, albeit navy blue. Dark gray is a bit more formal than navy blue and therefore works for every occasion (dark gray is better for weddings and especially funerals). Also, don't buy a cheap suit (anything less than $500) and make sure to get it properly tailored. And don't forget a decent pair of black shoes.

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
Just a comment - The high tech industry here is very casual - I would look at what people in the company wear in a similar position and take your cues from there - i work for a very large HW/SW company and no one from the CEO down wears a suit except for salespeople. A nice jacket and pressed slacks would be appropriate here for all non-sales positions for interviews. This mostly applies to high tech companies - for government, IT consulting a suit is appropriate.

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
ditto on the cheap suit - look for a hand-sewn suit if you can afford it. $500 suits that are marked down to $299 are $299 suits - don't be fooled, there machine made with fused lapels and linings. Unfortunately a good quality hand-sewn suit is likely to start at $800. You can find a good suit at a department store - Saks, Bloomingdales, Nordstroms, Brooks Bros and Macy's (at least in large metropolitan areas - Macys in smaller locations dont stock expensive suits)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks